(Something I plucked from the past.)
…“My love has forgotten me..O, He has forgotten me…He had promised…Here to meet me …On this street…But he hasn’t come yet…O, promises he had made to me…But he hasn’t come yet…To find out how I am…”…Where was that old song coming from? Who was singing it…I knew it from long ago..
I didn’t know what time of the day it was. It felt like evening, but I wasn’t sure. There was a strange glow in the sky. But I couldn’t locate the sun. Neither were there stars, or any sign of the moon. It could be early morning, but it didn’t feel like it. Something in your bones always knows what time of the day it is – but something seemed awry with mine. It could even be a clouded mid-morning – but I couldn’t see any clouds in the sky. In fact, the sky didn’t look like the sky at all – just this eerie glow. And I couldn’t locate the source of the light.
…“That evening that day was strange…This evening today too is as strange…Yesterday it was close to me…Today too it feels just as near…”…And where was this voice singing these old songs from pasts…?
I didn’t even know what I was doing there. In the middle of the narrow ribbon of road. There were some people going up and down – but they seemed shrouded. I couldn’t see their faces or their eyes. An occasional rattly vehicle trundled by now and then. I tried to retrace my thoughts to where I had been before I had got here – but I couldn’t remember. I looked behind me, but it was just this narrow grey road going as far as I could see, both behind me, and in front.
And unbidden comes another song…“I call your name as I walk along…through these streets and narrow lanes…All I want..Is to feel..the shade…of the cloud..that your tresses make…Just for one look of love from your eyes..My love…I call your name as I walk these streets and narrow lanes…”
And suddenly I thought – but who am I? I knew I was me – of course I knew me. I mean I could feel my familiar self, the familiar thoughts coursing through my brain. I looked at my hands – they were mine. I looked down at the rest of me. My chest, my belly, my legs. They were mine. I knew them to be mine. I had them all my life. So physically I belonged to a past. I mean I couldn’t be here now, within this body, unless I had arrived from somewhere, could I?
But where had I come from? I felt a vague uneasiness welling up. I had been on my way somewhere. I mean I had set out from somewhere - which I couldn’t remember. - to go somewhere - which I’d forgotten. Or seemed only vaguely to know.
… “Are you some dream..Or are you some kind of reality…Tell me…Who you are…You’ve been standing there..So far away…For such a long time…Come close to me…Let me see…Who.. or what you are…”
I cajoled my mind to try and think. Wait. A train. I had set out to catch a train. I didn’t know where I was going by that train, I had no idea where the station was – all I knew was that I had to get on that train. And this road I was in, would lead me to it, if I followed it.
So I began, or resumed, walking. I must have been walking to get here. Or travelling by some mode. All I knew was that I was standing there, in the middle of that road, under this strange sky, where I couldn’t tell the time, and that I had to go somewhere, for which I had to catch a train. So I set off. Somehow I knew I didn’t have to hurry too much. I had time on my hands. Not indefinitely. But enough for me not to hurry.
… “Come, Come my love..Walk with me..And I’ll take you to a place.. under a sky…Where there is no sorrow..Not even tears…Where only the flowers of love fruit lusciously…We’ll walk under such a sky…”…sang another familiar voice..
And the road? It was familiar. Yet, strange. I mean roads are like people you know. You know their features. You know what their voice sounds like. You can even predict how they think, and respond to a given situation, if you’ve associated with them long enough. This road felt like a friend whom I had not met for many years. Whose ways I had to re-learn. The familiarity regained from the mystery of strangeness grown through time not traversed together.
… “My Friend..you’ve not remained a friend…My love…you’re no longer my love…Life…I’ve lost faith in you..O Life… I’ve lost faith in you...”
And as I walked through the familiar sepia tinted path, it felt like I was listening to an old record. You know, like those solid 78 rpm records from the past. In my childhood I listened to them on hand-cranked record players, with needles that blunted and needed to be changed after every five or six times you played a song...
Songs that went something like this…“I don’t know what kind of people they are…Those who get love in return for love…When I asked for garlands of flowering buds…All I got was a garland of sharp thorns…”
Records playing old songs, sounding tinny with age. Sounding scratched because the needle gets blunt, and keeps slipping and skittering, finding it hard to stay in its groove. The past melding into the present, leaving only a grooved trace of the trail. Threading its way to a future, a smooth black blank space, where the groove runs out, and so does the song. Where the needle oscillates to and fro with a hiss, once the song is done – from the label, which cannot be read, because the turntable is still turning, to the end of the grooved thread it had just slipped out from.
And another song from the past begins humming in my head, a song somebody used to sing, long ago … “as long as my lips do not drink the nectar from your lips to its last dregs…this traveller’s feet will forever be entangled in your tresses…and I’ll hum this song… to your eyes and your face…wherever you may be..whatever path you may tread..I’ll sing my song..just this way..for you”…
So the song went..insistently hissing and scratching..from the needle which had slipped free from its groove.. I heard the song in my head…but I couldn’t read the label of the still turning record from which it played…the singer's song played in my head, his name blurred, obscured by the haze that distant pasts create.
As I walked, I began noticing the occasional abode that lay strewn on either side of the road. Moulding walls, spider-webbed with tiny cracks crawling all over the facades. The windows, heavy lidded – the coquettish eyes of aging beauty, long lashed, fluttering and flirting, enticing the shrouded passers by, in the decaying half-light, who did not pay any heed. Narrow, half opened doorways, withered, gnarled, beckoning, into musty darkened interiors…
From where a cracked voice sings from another hissing old record..“..do not leave me.. O my love… tearing your arms away from mine.. O my love..for then I swear.. On you and your name.. O my love.. I will not be able to stop the tears I shed..”..Was it coming from inside one of those houses, or was it playing in my head? I wasn’t sure. I walked on.
It was a town where time seemed to have stopped for a while, as if caught in a frieze. But which felt that it was about to start ticking again, anytime soon. As soon as it remembered how. The shrouded people that passed by seemed to be afloat in some lost romance, like the decomposing buildings. Their iconography displayed everywhere – like peeling posters plastered on crumbling walls. Giant murals of painted men and women frozen in mid air. Lurid dreams fossilized in rickety hoardings.
While the ancient vehicles, along with clanking bullock carts, chugged and huffed up and down, flowing like boats flitting on a river, or clouds skidding in the sky…
“Where does the Ganga come from…Where is the Ganga going to…Its waves flow…like shadows and the sunlight float in water..” --- Sings an old street singer, sculpted in stone, a beggar, really – holding his calloused hand out for a few coins --
While the noisy vehicles pass petrified roadside vendors, men in threadbare turbans, women in flowing, once vibrant, clothes, now tattered and faded, caught in frescoes, haggling their wares -- vegetables, fruit, or fries -- wheedling at their customers, and cursing their beedi smoking men, in the same breath.
I had been sensing it for quite some time now. There was someone following me. The light was beginning to wane, the road was darker. I looked behind me – but there were just shrouded figures walking. Just my imagination, I thought. I was just nervy, I decided. And walked on.
And I heard another haunting old melody… “Wherever you walk…My shadow will always be with you…My shadow will always follow you…If you should turn around and look for me…Even though you may not see me…My shadow is following you..My shadow is always with you…”
The feeling persisted. I could feel a presence looking at me intently from behind, and following me. I twisted around sharply, once or twice, to catch out the person, but each time it was just those blank shrouded people behind me that met my eyes. Now this shrouded figure that I had caught following me seemed like a chink of light in a darkened tomb in which I felt I was buried alive.
I turned off the road and entered an empty, dark, narrow lane that went into a thicket of trees, and waited, half hidden behind a tree. And sure enough, soon a shrouded figure stepped cautiously into the lane, and peered into the gloom. I stepped out and accosted the shroud, I could not tell if it was a man or a woman: Why are you following me, I said.
At which he or she turned around swiftly and went back into the road. I followed half running: Wait! I yelled. Stop. I called. Why are you following me? I asked. But the shrouded figure only walked faster, trying to melt in with the other shrouds. But I had it pinpointed in my eyesight. I had an imperative need to catch up and know what this was all about. What I was doing there. And why had he/she been following me. I was sure the shrouded being knew something. I had tried talking with the other shrouded figures around me – but all I got was silence.
…“My heart said something…It was nothing…My heart heard something…It was nothing…Such conversations too happen..My love…Such conversations do happen..”
So I held my shrouded figure hard in my sights, and followed it doggedly. But the faster I walked, the faster it seemed to move too. The distance was lengthening between us. I began running and calling out desperately: Hello! Wait! Please, Wait!
It had entered a big, crowded building – I knew I would lose him, or her, if I didn’t catch up now. I ran inside desperately looking for my shrouded creature and I suddenly realized I was at the station. And suddenly I knew why the shrouded being had been following me – to lead me here. I looked here and there, but I couldn’t see it anymore. It had melted with the others who were walking silently to and fro the platforms where trains were waiting.
I knew my train was on platform number three – I didn’t know how I knew that – I just knew. I walked up to my compartment, found my berth – all of which I also knew somehow – and lay down tiredly. It was dark now outside. I drifted off to sleep. And I didn’t even know when the train began to move.
“…I know not what paths I must walk..I know not what my world is…Whose hand I shall I seek…To help me traverse these paths..And I know not what my destination is…But my heart tells me…This is my world…And this is my destination…”
From the depths of deep slumber I heard someone calling me.. Rita…Rita..Wake up..
I wished they wouldn’t..I was so tired..I wanted to sleep – but somebody was shaking me now – Rita..Get Up..
I opened my eyes. Through the haze of half sleep I saw it was my mother shaking me and calling me: What is it..? I said drowsily. Let me sleep…
Get up..Or you’ll miss Belampalli..
And I was suddenly wide awake. It was broad daylight. Our train was moving slowly – a signal ahead had not given it clearance, my father told me. My mother and my father were sitting opposite, eagerly looking outside the window. We were on our way to Hyderabad – a journey we were making after almost twenty years of leaving the place.
But more than Hyderabad, where I went to school, it was Belampalli that we were all eagerly waiting for. For it was in Belampalli, a small coal minig town that my father had worked all his life, until he retired. It was in Belampalli that I had left my childhood behind.
Suddenly I yelled excitedly – I was a child once more – Ma, Baba, look – there’s that old movie theatre – Gawd, it’s still exactly the same—
Yes, time had stood still at Belampalli – the train was moving through its tiny station now, not stopping. So many times had we come to this station, usually on our way to school to Hyderabad, sometimes on journeys to Calcutta --- drunk tea from that tiny tea stall, waited hours for trains perpetually late.We watched in silence, tears in our eyes, as the train slowly left tiny Belampalli behind.
And an old song I loved came to my mind – “Bichad gayaa har saathi dekar pal do pal ka saath kisko fursath haijo thamme divaano ka haath humko apna saaya thak aksar bezaar mila - Isko hi jeena kahthe hai tho yuhi jeelenge - uff na karenge lab see lenge aasu peelenge - gam se ab ghabrana kaisa – gam sau baar milaa-”
“Separated …All our companions have left us…After spending only a moment or two..Who has the time Or the inclination…To hold the hand of old memories…Even my shadow has forsaken me… If this is what they call life…So I will live it as it is…Not a moan, nor a complaint shall pass through my lips…I’ll seal my lips…And drink my tears…Why should I fear sorrow…For familiar Sorrow has come a hundred time…”
(All the words within quotes are songs from old Hindi movies, from the late fifties, through the sixties, and maybe patches of the seventies – The golden age of Hindi cinema, and its music. Unlike in the West, India had no outlet other than its cinema for its popular music. Hindi cinema therefore, in those times, attracted some of the best poets the country has produced, and music composers, and singers. Their like will never be seen or heard again as we sink into crass cheapness and garish loudness that our cinema and music have generally degenerated to these days.
This story is dedicated to all those singers, composers and lyricists that gave so much meaning and beauty to my growing years – The golden voices of Hemant Kumar, Manna Dey, Mohammad Rafi, Mukesh, Talat Mehmood, Kishore Kumar, Geeta Dutt, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhonsle... Music composers like SD Burman, RD Burman, Salil Choudhuri, Laxmikant Pyarelal, Kalyanji Anandji, O P Nayyar, Ravi. Lyricists like Sahir Ludhianvi, Kaifi Azmi, Majrooh Sultanpuri, Gulzar, Indeevar, Shailendra --- Just to name a few. They took the music from the traditional sounds of India – Folk, Classical etc, they took from the Western traditions, sounds from the Middle-East, and the far East --- and they made the most wonderful music. Of course translations can never capture the beauty of its originals – I have kept mine simple, perhaps simplistic, and direct – )
…“My love has forgotten me..O, He has forgotten me…He had promised…Here to meet me …On this street…But he hasn’t come yet…O, promises he had made to me…But he hasn’t come yet…To find out how I am…”…Where was that old song coming from? Who was singing it…I knew it from long ago..
I didn’t know what time of the day it was. It felt like evening, but I wasn’t sure. There was a strange glow in the sky. But I couldn’t locate the sun. Neither were there stars, or any sign of the moon. It could be early morning, but it didn’t feel like it. Something in your bones always knows what time of the day it is – but something seemed awry with mine. It could even be a clouded mid-morning – but I couldn’t see any clouds in the sky. In fact, the sky didn’t look like the sky at all – just this eerie glow. And I couldn’t locate the source of the light.
…“That evening that day was strange…This evening today too is as strange…Yesterday it was close to me…Today too it feels just as near…”…And where was this voice singing these old songs from pasts…?
I didn’t even know what I was doing there. In the middle of the narrow ribbon of road. There were some people going up and down – but they seemed shrouded. I couldn’t see their faces or their eyes. An occasional rattly vehicle trundled by now and then. I tried to retrace my thoughts to where I had been before I had got here – but I couldn’t remember. I looked behind me, but it was just this narrow grey road going as far as I could see, both behind me, and in front.
And unbidden comes another song…“I call your name as I walk along…through these streets and narrow lanes…All I want..Is to feel..the shade…of the cloud..that your tresses make…Just for one look of love from your eyes..My love…I call your name as I walk these streets and narrow lanes…”
And suddenly I thought – but who am I? I knew I was me – of course I knew me. I mean I could feel my familiar self, the familiar thoughts coursing through my brain. I looked at my hands – they were mine. I looked down at the rest of me. My chest, my belly, my legs. They were mine. I knew them to be mine. I had them all my life. So physically I belonged to a past. I mean I couldn’t be here now, within this body, unless I had arrived from somewhere, could I?
But where had I come from? I felt a vague uneasiness welling up. I had been on my way somewhere. I mean I had set out from somewhere - which I couldn’t remember. - to go somewhere - which I’d forgotten. Or seemed only vaguely to know.
… “Are you some dream..Or are you some kind of reality…Tell me…Who you are…You’ve been standing there..So far away…For such a long time…Come close to me…Let me see…Who.. or what you are…”
I cajoled my mind to try and think. Wait. A train. I had set out to catch a train. I didn’t know where I was going by that train, I had no idea where the station was – all I knew was that I had to get on that train. And this road I was in, would lead me to it, if I followed it.
So I began, or resumed, walking. I must have been walking to get here. Or travelling by some mode. All I knew was that I was standing there, in the middle of that road, under this strange sky, where I couldn’t tell the time, and that I had to go somewhere, for which I had to catch a train. So I set off. Somehow I knew I didn’t have to hurry too much. I had time on my hands. Not indefinitely. But enough for me not to hurry.
… “Come, Come my love..Walk with me..And I’ll take you to a place.. under a sky…Where there is no sorrow..Not even tears…Where only the flowers of love fruit lusciously…We’ll walk under such a sky…”…sang another familiar voice..
And the road? It was familiar. Yet, strange. I mean roads are like people you know. You know their features. You know what their voice sounds like. You can even predict how they think, and respond to a given situation, if you’ve associated with them long enough. This road felt like a friend whom I had not met for many years. Whose ways I had to re-learn. The familiarity regained from the mystery of strangeness grown through time not traversed together.
… “My Friend..you’ve not remained a friend…My love…you’re no longer my love…Life…I’ve lost faith in you..O Life… I’ve lost faith in you...”
And as I walked through the familiar sepia tinted path, it felt like I was listening to an old record. You know, like those solid 78 rpm records from the past. In my childhood I listened to them on hand-cranked record players, with needles that blunted and needed to be changed after every five or six times you played a song...
Songs that went something like this…“I don’t know what kind of people they are…Those who get love in return for love…When I asked for garlands of flowering buds…All I got was a garland of sharp thorns…”
Records playing old songs, sounding tinny with age. Sounding scratched because the needle gets blunt, and keeps slipping and skittering, finding it hard to stay in its groove. The past melding into the present, leaving only a grooved trace of the trail. Threading its way to a future, a smooth black blank space, where the groove runs out, and so does the song. Where the needle oscillates to and fro with a hiss, once the song is done – from the label, which cannot be read, because the turntable is still turning, to the end of the grooved thread it had just slipped out from.
And another song from the past begins humming in my head, a song somebody used to sing, long ago … “as long as my lips do not drink the nectar from your lips to its last dregs…this traveller’s feet will forever be entangled in your tresses…and I’ll hum this song… to your eyes and your face…wherever you may be..whatever path you may tread..I’ll sing my song..just this way..for you”…
So the song went..insistently hissing and scratching..from the needle which had slipped free from its groove.. I heard the song in my head…but I couldn’t read the label of the still turning record from which it played…the singer's song played in my head, his name blurred, obscured by the haze that distant pasts create.
As I walked, I began noticing the occasional abode that lay strewn on either side of the road. Moulding walls, spider-webbed with tiny cracks crawling all over the facades. The windows, heavy lidded – the coquettish eyes of aging beauty, long lashed, fluttering and flirting, enticing the shrouded passers by, in the decaying half-light, who did not pay any heed. Narrow, half opened doorways, withered, gnarled, beckoning, into musty darkened interiors…
From where a cracked voice sings from another hissing old record..“..do not leave me.. O my love… tearing your arms away from mine.. O my love..for then I swear.. On you and your name.. O my love.. I will not be able to stop the tears I shed..”..Was it coming from inside one of those houses, or was it playing in my head? I wasn’t sure. I walked on.
It was a town where time seemed to have stopped for a while, as if caught in a frieze. But which felt that it was about to start ticking again, anytime soon. As soon as it remembered how. The shrouded people that passed by seemed to be afloat in some lost romance, like the decomposing buildings. Their iconography displayed everywhere – like peeling posters plastered on crumbling walls. Giant murals of painted men and women frozen in mid air. Lurid dreams fossilized in rickety hoardings.
While the ancient vehicles, along with clanking bullock carts, chugged and huffed up and down, flowing like boats flitting on a river, or clouds skidding in the sky…
“Where does the Ganga come from…Where is the Ganga going to…Its waves flow…like shadows and the sunlight float in water..” --- Sings an old street singer, sculpted in stone, a beggar, really – holding his calloused hand out for a few coins --
While the noisy vehicles pass petrified roadside vendors, men in threadbare turbans, women in flowing, once vibrant, clothes, now tattered and faded, caught in frescoes, haggling their wares -- vegetables, fruit, or fries -- wheedling at their customers, and cursing their beedi smoking men, in the same breath.
I had been sensing it for quite some time now. There was someone following me. The light was beginning to wane, the road was darker. I looked behind me – but there were just shrouded figures walking. Just my imagination, I thought. I was just nervy, I decided. And walked on.
And I heard another haunting old melody… “Wherever you walk…My shadow will always be with you…My shadow will always follow you…If you should turn around and look for me…Even though you may not see me…My shadow is following you..My shadow is always with you…”
The feeling persisted. I could feel a presence looking at me intently from behind, and following me. I twisted around sharply, once or twice, to catch out the person, but each time it was just those blank shrouded people behind me that met my eyes. Now this shrouded figure that I had caught following me seemed like a chink of light in a darkened tomb in which I felt I was buried alive.
I turned off the road and entered an empty, dark, narrow lane that went into a thicket of trees, and waited, half hidden behind a tree. And sure enough, soon a shrouded figure stepped cautiously into the lane, and peered into the gloom. I stepped out and accosted the shroud, I could not tell if it was a man or a woman: Why are you following me, I said.
At which he or she turned around swiftly and went back into the road. I followed half running: Wait! I yelled. Stop. I called. Why are you following me? I asked. But the shrouded figure only walked faster, trying to melt in with the other shrouds. But I had it pinpointed in my eyesight. I had an imperative need to catch up and know what this was all about. What I was doing there. And why had he/she been following me. I was sure the shrouded being knew something. I had tried talking with the other shrouded figures around me – but all I got was silence.
…“My heart said something…It was nothing…My heart heard something…It was nothing…Such conversations too happen..My love…Such conversations do happen..”
So I held my shrouded figure hard in my sights, and followed it doggedly. But the faster I walked, the faster it seemed to move too. The distance was lengthening between us. I began running and calling out desperately: Hello! Wait! Please, Wait!
It had entered a big, crowded building – I knew I would lose him, or her, if I didn’t catch up now. I ran inside desperately looking for my shrouded creature and I suddenly realized I was at the station. And suddenly I knew why the shrouded being had been following me – to lead me here. I looked here and there, but I couldn’t see it anymore. It had melted with the others who were walking silently to and fro the platforms where trains were waiting.
I knew my train was on platform number three – I didn’t know how I knew that – I just knew. I walked up to my compartment, found my berth – all of which I also knew somehow – and lay down tiredly. It was dark now outside. I drifted off to sleep. And I didn’t even know when the train began to move.
“…I know not what paths I must walk..I know not what my world is…Whose hand I shall I seek…To help me traverse these paths..And I know not what my destination is…But my heart tells me…This is my world…And this is my destination…”
From the depths of deep slumber I heard someone calling me.. Rita…Rita..Wake up..
I wished they wouldn’t..I was so tired..I wanted to sleep – but somebody was shaking me now – Rita..Get Up..
I opened my eyes. Through the haze of half sleep I saw it was my mother shaking me and calling me: What is it..? I said drowsily. Let me sleep…
Get up..Or you’ll miss Belampalli..
And I was suddenly wide awake. It was broad daylight. Our train was moving slowly – a signal ahead had not given it clearance, my father told me. My mother and my father were sitting opposite, eagerly looking outside the window. We were on our way to Hyderabad – a journey we were making after almost twenty years of leaving the place.
But more than Hyderabad, where I went to school, it was Belampalli that we were all eagerly waiting for. For it was in Belampalli, a small coal minig town that my father had worked all his life, until he retired. It was in Belampalli that I had left my childhood behind.
Suddenly I yelled excitedly – I was a child once more – Ma, Baba, look – there’s that old movie theatre – Gawd, it’s still exactly the same—
Yes, time had stood still at Belampalli – the train was moving through its tiny station now, not stopping. So many times had we come to this station, usually on our way to school to Hyderabad, sometimes on journeys to Calcutta --- drunk tea from that tiny tea stall, waited hours for trains perpetually late.We watched in silence, tears in our eyes, as the train slowly left tiny Belampalli behind.
And an old song I loved came to my mind – “Bichad gayaa har saathi dekar pal do pal ka saath kisko fursath haijo thamme divaano ka haath humko apna saaya thak aksar bezaar mila - Isko hi jeena kahthe hai tho yuhi jeelenge - uff na karenge lab see lenge aasu peelenge - gam se ab ghabrana kaisa – gam sau baar milaa-”
“Separated …All our companions have left us…After spending only a moment or two..Who has the time Or the inclination…To hold the hand of old memories…Even my shadow has forsaken me… If this is what they call life…So I will live it as it is…Not a moan, nor a complaint shall pass through my lips…I’ll seal my lips…And drink my tears…Why should I fear sorrow…For familiar Sorrow has come a hundred time…”
(All the words within quotes are songs from old Hindi movies, from the late fifties, through the sixties, and maybe patches of the seventies – The golden age of Hindi cinema, and its music. Unlike in the West, India had no outlet other than its cinema for its popular music. Hindi cinema therefore, in those times, attracted some of the best poets the country has produced, and music composers, and singers. Their like will never be seen or heard again as we sink into crass cheapness and garish loudness that our cinema and music have generally degenerated to these days.
This story is dedicated to all those singers, composers and lyricists that gave so much meaning and beauty to my growing years – The golden voices of Hemant Kumar, Manna Dey, Mohammad Rafi, Mukesh, Talat Mehmood, Kishore Kumar, Geeta Dutt, Lata Mangeshkar, Asha Bhonsle... Music composers like SD Burman, RD Burman, Salil Choudhuri, Laxmikant Pyarelal, Kalyanji Anandji, O P Nayyar, Ravi. Lyricists like Sahir Ludhianvi, Kaifi Azmi, Majrooh Sultanpuri, Gulzar, Indeevar, Shailendra --- Just to name a few. They took the music from the traditional sounds of India – Folk, Classical etc, they took from the Western traditions, sounds from the Middle-East, and the far East --- and they made the most wonderful music. Of course translations can never capture the beauty of its originals – I have kept mine simple, perhaps simplistic, and direct – )
Great write up Rita.......
ReplyDeleteQuite a bit of quiz for me(one that gave me a smile).
These are the hindi originals of few songs that i think i identified correctly(tried to keep them in order of arrival in the piece above) -
"Pukarta chala hoon ho main.....gaali galli bahar ki"
"wo shaam kuch ajeeb tha..yeh shaam bhi ajeeb hai"
"Khwab ho tum ya koi haqueeqat kaun ho tum batlao"
"A chal ke tujhe main leke chalu ek aisi gagan ke tale"
"Dost dost na raha, pyaar ptaar na raha"
"Tu jaha jaha chalega mera saaya sath hoga"
I love old Hindi Music , too bad i could recognize half of them :(
Stay blessed !
Dear Anonymous.. Thank you :) .. Yes, I can see you love our oldie-goldies.. I'm impressed that you could identify as many as you have.. I don't think I would have been able to if I had come across them written by someone else... I also am giving myself a little pat on my back for my translation of the songs, though I think they don't reflect any of the poetic beauty of the originals, at least some of them are identifiable :)
DeleteI too love our old Hindi cinema songs.. they are forever.. I hum them all the time, absentmindedly.. right now I'm humming... "Yaadein na Jaye Beete Dino Ki".. Indeed, these songs are unforgettable and take me to a time that stays unforgettable whenever I listen to them or hum them.
Which are your favourite songs, and who are your favourite singers, music directors, lyricists? Do you sing?
Here are some of the songs in this piece that you couldn't identify (I take responsibility for that with my clumsy translation)
Mohe bhool gaye sawariyan
jaane woh kaise log the jinke pyar ko pyar mila
Jalte hain jiske liye (I took a stanza from the middle of this song)
Na jaao sayyan chuda ke baiyya
ganga aaye kahan se ganga jaye kahan re
Kuch dil ne kahaa, kuch bhi nahin; Kuch dil ne sunaa, kuch bhi nahin
Thanks Rita for taking the pain of translating the songs for me........i know them all too bad i could guess them from their translations :)
ReplyDeleteI do sing and hum but only when alone....;) for myself that is. I have loads of favourites to put my finger on some would be imposible. They made songs that touched us in every phase of life.......no denying the fact that they do make awesome music now as well but for what so ever reason there will never be evergreen songs like the old hindi bolllywood songs.
None that will be remembered by generations to come for example -
The song from Milan by Mukesh - "Mubarak ho sabko.....sama yeh suhana"
Or "dil aj shayar hai ghum aj nagma hai " by Kishore Kumar
" Hume aur jeene ki chahat na hoti " by Lata Mangesh kar
" Bahoon mein chale aa " by Asha ji
These are like few drops from the ocean of treasured old songs. To be able to grow up listening to them i guess build our character in some way or the other, funny as it ma sound but i wonder if there will ever be songs written and made where the emotion of Love is given the highest regard and respect like in the song " Agar mujhse mohabbat hai mujhe sab apne ghum de do "
Today the music and lyrics seems to come more from writers than poets and hence the difference in quality is obvious.
I just love music......listening to it i mean.
Tell me more about your music choices.
Asha's sensuousness or naughtiness, Lata's pristine purity, Geeta's and Mukesh's pathos, Rafi's melodious quality, Kishore's impishness as well as heaviness, Talat's delicacy...and so many more.. The sheer variety and versatility and soulfulness they expressed in so many genres and styles is what I marvel about when I listen to them. Compared to that, singers and music directors today seem to belt their songs off in a soulless manner. Except for a few, most of the music made today just doesn't reach any depths for me, intellectually or emotionally. Forget poetry, even saying that today's music and lyrics come from writers is too complimentary to them, generally speaking. You are right, while the songs of yore have lasted generations, and will continue to be sung and hummed by generations to come, today's music don't even last a week, if even that. That's because most of it is mindless noise, created by mostly mindless people. At least in Hindi cinema today some people are trying to break out of the mindless noise mode, but what is being made in Bengali these days makes me weep, both the music and cinema.
DeleteAnd yes, whether expressing the depths of love, in all its shades, from the joy and shyness of first meeting, falling in love, to the playfulness, or earnestness of acknowledging it, celebrating it, e.g. 'tere mere sapne' from Guide comes to mind, to the pain of separation or betrayal or loss of love, all its myriad emotions and stages have been created and expressed so beautifully, so mindfully. They thought deeply, they rehearsed and practiced painstakingly, until they created songs that seem to be sung so effortlessly. Today, it's the opposite..that is part of the problem, I think.
Like all creations created by genius, every time I listen to the songs of the past mindfully, I keep discovering new nuances that I may have missed in the past due to immaturity or to ignorance. So, part of the reason they are evergreen is that they not only touch us in every phase of our lives, but also can take on meaning as we get into each phase of our lives..they grow on us and with us.
As for my music choices..I am moody and my choices are eclectic.. From western pop to classical, to Indian ragas to cinema to Tagore. These I have been exposed to..but, I also love exploring music from the world over.. Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, Middle East, Mexican, Latin American..
My only regret is I didn't learn Indian classical music, so I sort of listen to them quite blindly, so to speak.. For, surely, one's appreciation of it would be so much more in depth if one were knowledgeable in its intricacies.. But, even though I listen to it blindly, my heart and soul respond to it deeply. Another regret I have is not having learnt Robindroshongeet formally, though I listen to the masters singing the songs and I learn them, I always feel a deep need to learn it from some master. Perhaps I will.
Look at me rambling on and on.. Once I start chatting about music, I just can't stop.. I have so much more to say.. :)
What are the other genres of music that you love, apart from old Hindi songs?
Was just listening to this song while reading your blog
ReplyDeleteJo Raah Chuni Tune, Usi Raah Pe Raahi Chalte Jaana Re
Ho Kitni Bhi Lambi Raat, Diya Ban Jalte Jaana Re..
Usi Raah Pe Raahi Chalte Jaana Re...
Kabhi Ped Ka Saaya Ped Ke Kaam Na Aaya
Seva Mein Sabhi Ki Usne Janam Bitaaya
Koi Kitne Bhi Phal Tode, Use To Hai Phalte Jaana Re
Usi Raah Pe Raahi Chalte Jaana Re...
Jeevan Ke Safar Mein Aise Bhi Mod Hain Aate
Jahan Chal Dete Hain Apne Bhi Tod Ke Naate
Kahin Dheeraj Choot Na Jaye, Tu Dekh Sambhalte Jaana Re
Usi Raah Pe Raahi Chalte Jaana Re...
Tere Pyar Ki Maala Kahin Jo Toot Bhi Jaye
Janmon Ka Saathi Kabhi Jo Choot Bhi Jaye
De Dekar Jhoothi Aas Tu Khud Ko Chhalte Jaana Re
Usi Raah Pe Raahi Chalte Jaana Re...
Teri Apni Kahani Yeh Darpan Bol Raha Hai
Bheegi Aankh Ka Paani, Hakikat Khol Raha Hai
Jis Rang Mein Dhaale Waqt, Musafir Dhalte Jaana Re
Usi Raah Pe Raahi Chalte Jaana Re...
I mean beauty is one thing, sheer genius is another. Is it not a life lesson the poet conveys?? Yet in such a subtle manner. There is absolutely no denying the fact that these songs are timeless.
Tell me about Bengali movies. I can use all the swear words I know and yet it will be much less that what they deserve. They are stupid. Bunch of mindless people with money and equipment shooting in some foreign land. It makes no sense at all. I personally think that losing Rituporno Ghosh was the final signature on the epitaph of Bengali film industries. Some hopes hanging on to Mrs Aparna sen though rest all of them are mostly useless, it ‘such a waste of time. Some directors do seems to think out of the box in a good way that is but i feel the portrayals are always so weak and pathetic that it finally ends as garbage. That’s a real shame. When i sometimes tune in to Sangeet bangla channel on TV at times i feel so sad , so depressed with what has become of Bengali movies and Music " Thumka lagali... premer bijli girali. Tor jonno gaiche ye dil remix kawali".
Thats the standard of the latest music from Tollygunj. But the fact that it’s a Hit, It’s a rave amongst the youngsters ,deepens my depression.
I don’t know if there will ever be a better day than this. I do listen to instrumentals a lot. Its calms me down like nothing else ever does. I like Shehnai, piano and Flute instrumentals. I like fusion instrumentals. I also like a lot of Western Pop, rock and jazz music. Avid listener of Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Jim Morrison, Beatles, Pink Floyd, John Denver, The Carpenters, Lionel Ritchie West life, Boy zone, Shakira, Céline Dion, Beyoncé, Backstreet boys and sooo many many more.
But Westlife is my go-to favourite band.
"Queen of my heart" can easily be picked as my all-time favourite song ever. I just love it like crazy :)
I like few Marathi song music but due to my lack of understanding of the language cant enjoy the lyrics too well ."Mann Udhan Waryache", "Radhe kirishna rashe krishna" ," Kadhi Tu", "Gala var khali dolat" would me some marathi songs i like. But I hardly understand any of them very well.
And I am just a sucker for Robindra sangeet. I simply love Gurudevs poetry his work his realizations. Its timeless. Its Ingenious.
'Jo raah chuni tune' is indeed a profound song from the movie Tapasya, the story written by Ashapoorna Devi ( http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashapoorna_Devi ), is one of Kishore's signature songs of this genre.. others of the same ilk being.. Mera jeevan kora kaagaz, Ghungroo ki tarah, Ruk jaana nahi tu kahi haar ke, Ye jeevan hai, Zindagi ka safar, Musafir hun yaaron, Aane wala pal jaane wala hai, O majhi re apna kinara.. I think I can add Manzilen apni jagah hai too..And so many more... I listen to them and find special meaning and solace in them in times when my spirit is down, and find myself getting uplifted by them. Kishore's voice in these songs has great emotional depth.
DeleteGetting back to the movie, Tapasya, it's an example of the good cinema of those days.. A sensitive story which poses questions about women's role/status in society, apart from dealing with issues like selfless duty, exemplified by Rakhee's role, versus intrinsic selfishness of human beings, exemplified by Asrani's role. What are your thoughts on this issue, of selflessness versus selfishness, as portrayed in the movie/story? Apart from the interesting issues explored in the movie, what good acting and music!
Yes, yes.. the Bengali cinema and music scene is terribly depressing indeed. My Ma and I stick to the golden oldies..those Uttam/Suchitra/etc starrers.. Wonderful acting, good story lines, even if some are a tad melodramatic, and superb music/songs. And you're absolutely right about some directors of today trying to do something different, yet being clueless about the creative process of good cinema. And, yes, I shudder at the horror Bengali songs have become..along with their picturization..the obscene jerky rubbish that is supposed to be romancing/dancing, which they ape clumsily from Bollywood. At least Bollywood has made its mindless song/dance routines slick and technically good.
As for Rituporno Ghosh and Aparna Sen, yes, they've made some interesting cinema.. though I didn't like A Sen's 'Mr and Mrs Iyer' at all..and I never liked her acting, especially in her younger days..like Sharmila Tagore, she's too self conscious and has got irritatingly distracting mannerisms.I think both need good directors to bring out the best in them..although, I rather like the older A Sen and Sharmila..both have shed much of their mannerisms. I also rather like A Sen's thought in this tweet of hers: "How far would you go for love? I would break all rules - certainly for love of cinema! Also for love of a man...well...maybe..." But Aparna's '36, Chowringhee Lane' and 'Poroma' and 'The Japanese Wife' are simply superb.. Have you seen them?
By the way, I've just listened to 'Queen of my heart', and I love it..especially the lyrics..I haven't heard Westlife before.. I'm not a fan of Shakira/Beyoncé/Celine Dion/et al.. I love the rest you've mentioned...Elvis et al. My choice of Western pop, like my Hindi and Bengali music choices, remains mostly in the '50s, '60s, '70s.. the golden age.. :) But, I do enjoy some of the fusion music I come across these days..and some later day artistes like Tom Petty, Sinead..etc. In Indian instruments, I love the Rudra Veena, its deep, sonorous sound is so spiritual, the Sarod, Sitar, Bansuri.. In Western, I love the Cello, again because of its deep sound, piano, various types of guitars..I'm completely clueless about Marathi songs.. except for Dolkara Dolkara by Hemant Kumar.
One of my favs, Tracy Chapman - Baby can I hold you: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kjRo_CHSdt0
And Pink Floyd - Wish you were here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NavVfpp-1L4
Your Music knowledge seems to be wide and indeed extremely refined. Its love ly u like " Queen of my heart" And if u liked it you will like "Soledad" too. Do listen to it if u have time.
ReplyDeleteYes I too dint really think "Mr and Mrs Iyer" was one of the great works from Mrs Sen. I loved " Paromitar Ekdin", "15 Park Avenue" dint see " My Japanese wife " though.
Mr Ghoses "Barioyali", "noukadubi","Raincoat" , "Ashukh", "Subho Muhurat" , " unishe April," "Dahan", " Utsab" and so many more ,all of them wonderful.
His loss will e a hard one for us all.
Let me know more about yourself.
Yes, I have a deep connection with music. I don't even know when and how my musical sense began; probably when I was in my mother's womb, because I remember from very early in my childhood, she used to hum and sing a lot while she went about her daily chores. She also used to listen to Hindi cinema songs a lot, on the radio. My father too loved music, he would tune in to Radio Calcutta every evening, first to catch the Bangla news, and later listen to Robindroshongeet - he would tap his slippered foot in time with the beat, and one of my earliest memories was the 'slap-slap-slap' sound of his chappals tapping the floor to the soothing songs of Tagore. I resemble my father, not only in looks but also a lot of mannerisms he had; often I catch myself doing exactly the same thing..slap-slapping my slippered foot in time with some much loved tune :)
DeleteHow about you? When and how did your musical interest first begin? What kind of music did you start out listening to..?
Yes, I've seen '15, Park Avenue', don't remember about 'Paromitar Ekdin', but I'm sure when I check it out on YouTube, I'll find I've seen it.. Likewise with Ghosh's movies.. I remember 'unishe April', 'noukadubi' and 'raincoat' distinctly, but I've probably seen most of the others too.. Yes, Ghosh's talent will be hard to replace.. a particularly sad loss at a time when so much crass is being made in the name of "entertainment". Tell me more about the other cinema you have seen and liked/disliked..why you liked or disliked any of them..
You know, as is obvious by my garrulousness here, I can talk endlessly about myself, unselfconsciously.. But as soon as somebody says, 'tell me more about yourself', I at once get self conscious and shy and sort of tongue tied.. I suddenly try and analyse myself, to try and find interesting things to say about myself, only to realise the ordinariness of who/what I am.. There is also another conundrum.. Yes, I love music and art.. But is that what defines me? Yes, I love sports..but is that intrinsically me.. What else can one say about oneself.. Usually one starts talking about one's accomplishments, talents, interests..but what do these reveal of the person..? Perhaps one can talk about one's negative aspects..for example, I have a hot temper.. No, I'm usually not given to anger, and I really prefer being at peace with myself and the world, but if I feel I've been treated unjustly, or if someone's being phony..I do flare up..briefly, intensely.. I am trying to learn not to be reactive like this, but haven't mastered it yet.. But, does that define me? Or, if not about personality, one can talk about one's life's experiences.. But where and how do I begin..it's all such a jumble of memories :)
Why don't you begin by telling me about yourself..that will help me to respond likewise..
You didn't respond to the query I had put to you; about the selflessness vs selfishness in the story, Tapasya.. Coincidentally, I came across this fascinating article yesterday: War in the womb---A ferocious biological struggle between mother and baby belies any sentimental ideas we might have about pregnancy: http://aeon.co/magazine/nature-and-cosmos/pregnancy-is-a-battleground-between-mother-father-and-baby/?utm_source=Aeon+newsletter&utm_campaign=9c818df8b5-Daily_Newsletter_4_August_20148_4_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_411a82e59d-9c818df8b5-68659005
Since you like the Beatles, here's Judy Collins singing one of theirs ~ In My Life ~: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iRYMdAQWsm
In the early hours today one of my father’s colleagues, more like a family member to us has breathed his last. He was suffering from Hepatitis type B for about a month now. I don’t know why I am even writing this here, I feel an excruciating pain building within my heart. I just can’t stop my tears from welling up.
DeleteI am sitting at my laptop in office and am supposed to work but I just can’t wrap my head around the incident. It’s not the first time I have seen death of close people. I have lost my grandparents. A pet and A dear friend.
These are days that make me think so much. Why do we have a life when it has to end anyway? What about the pain of the family who has lost their sole breadwinner. What about the man himself who I am sure wasn’t yet ready to die. The ideas, the worry, the care, the imaginations, his work knowledge. What about all of them? Were they all destined to die together??
I don’t know if men can be categorised into good and bad, but if that was possible then I would say he was a pretty decent person spending his entire life giving and caring for people around him. Then y him?
If this is life……..then indeed it is not fair.
I am an emotional mess right now. Right now I feel nothing in life has any value. No thing, no song nothing can bring peace to the grieving family behind him. Sorry But I felt like sharing my feelings with u.
Life's betrayals come in many forms
DeleteIt comes in the treachery of those
Whom you thought were life friends
And held close to your heart ---
Until that cruel stab in the back
--- Oh, the excruciating pain of that knife
So sharp!
It comes in the disappointments
That Life's hand deals out to you
What began so full of promise
Turns out to be an illusory mirage ---
And then comes that mid-life reckoning
--- Oh, the excruciating twist of that knife
So sharp!
But the biggest betrayal of them all
Is when Life itself forsakes you
That which you took for granted
Your life's breaths, your heart's beats ---
Your companions since you were born, suddenly gone
--- Oh, the excruciating thrust of that knife
So sharp!
I know how you are feeling; all of us experience the incomprehensible ending, the death, of a loved one. All of us know it will happen, even though vaguely, whether to a family member, or a dear friend, yet, nothing quite prepares us for it, when it does happen. Nothing prepares us for that pain, the tears that well up and flow, without our volition. And yes, for those left behind to grieve, nothing can alleviate the pain.. No song, no poetry, no words can bring peace..the sense of loss is so profound. Time heals, they say.. But, I think, time only dulls the grief, the pain never quite goes. Later, perhaps a snatch of a song, or the sudden memory of some shared memory, fills you with that pain again, afresh.
Death, especially when experienced closely, always brings thoughts about the meaning of life.. Or, rather the seeming meaninglessness of it. When my father died, I thought the same thing.. As I looked at his familiar, but now lifeless face, I wondered where had his voice disappeared.. He used to call me 'Rita..Ma', especially at the end of his days, when in used to help him with his personal needs.. Where did his brilliant mind gone..his idiosyncrasies..his thoughts..the person he was..? I find no answers.. Sometimes I wonder if, as according to Hindu belief, he has been reincarnated.. I wonder if he is happy and well in his new life/body.. If perhaps he is somewhere close by.. I've heard that the people one has in one's life, as family, as friends, are always with you life after life.. though as a different relationship.. I, somehow, find comfort in that..
I think one cannot categorise people who are close to us simplistically as good or bad.. I think they either have a positive effect or negative effect on us.. I don't know why that is so, though I tend to think karma has something to do with it.. Why a good person dies, especially an early death, is again a mystery.. Yes, life often seems unfair..unfathomable..
I feel privileged that you have shared your inner self, your feelings, with me.. I know my words are inadequate to comfort you, but just know that my thoughts are with you..I wish I could do more to ease your pain..
Right now I am also in an emotional turmoil.. But I don't want to make this into my personal troubles, so, maybe I'll tell you next time..
Thank you for all the emotional support u have provided through your words. Its takes an exceptional personality to be able to empathize with someone who is a complete stranger. I thank you and I respect and appreciate your support.
ReplyDeleteYes I too feel that the pain never quiet dies it just fades. I often think about my grandparent, about our times together, what they did, how they spoke the colour of their hair the feel their wrinkled skin and oh of course there special scent. To say I miss them is but an absolute understatement. I regret having not done so many things with them. For starters I feel I could have pushed myself to spend more time with them. Take so many more photographs, record their voice, captured their action. I don’t know but I could have sure done so much more should I have realised in time that a day would come they would no more sit by me amazed at almost everything I did. May be I had taken the gift of grandparents way too lightly. I could never think that I will live to see a day without them.
Entire day yesterday I thought of them so much more. Their smiling faces danced around me throughout the day.
I guess life teaches us to be resilient. And I realise that’s not such a bad thing u know. Reading about your Father and how your think he may be somewhere around you, I too hope Kanai uncle (my father’s colleague) stays close to his family guiding them , protecting them if possible. I don’t know how they will recover from this loss but I am sure they will, as all does. As I have as you too have.
Its indeed a terrifying thought when we come to think of it that one person whom death has claimed can be found nowhere…………no place that we can think of, that we can travel to just to see him once. Just to make sure he is OK. How many thousand times we call on the mobile that used to be his precious one day, no one will ever answer even if it’s just to say he’s busy.
Such incidents and occurrences I guess shakes us back and wards us off from taking life for granted. Makes me want to do so much more for my loved ones right now.
Before either of us run short of time.
Thanks Rita. You will never know how much your words have meant to me, how much more comfortable you have made me feel. You seem to be a wonderful person. And if my good wishes mean anything I wish you well with all my heart.
I don’t know if I can do anything to make you feel better as well but I believe I can be a patient listener to anything that you might want to say. Anything that will make you feel even a tad bit better.
I spent a lot of time yesterday at the doctor's (ophthalmologist) clinic because my Ma needed to get a number of check-ups/tests done. She has been complaining of cloudy/diminished vision for a while, plus a sticky discharge from her eyes. So we took her to the doc about 10 days back and after conducting some tests, he had diagnosed it as cataracts and that she will have to get it operated. He had given some eye drops and an ointment and had said to come back in 10-15 days, which we did. Anyway, the upshot of it is, that her operation is scheduled for the first week of Sept.. and while it takes about 10 days for initial recovery, post operation, it takes about a month for complete recovery. And my Ma wants me to be with her, naturally. She has a host of other serious ailments, such as psoriatic arthritis, joint disability due to the arthritis, asthma, pemphigus...all of which are being controlled by strong medication like methotrexate (which is actually an anti-cancer drug, but which has also been found to be effective in controlling the symptoms of autoimmune diseases like psoriasis and arthritis). But the main side effect of methotrexate, which suppresses the immune system, is that she is highly susceptible to infections, and so has to be very careful. Another side effect she experiences is a feeling of great weakness..I have to cajole, goad her to do her daily exercises/pranayama. Not that she doesn't want to, but because she feels weak, and lacks energy. Plus, she's on BP medication. At 80 years of age, and with all these chronic probs, though she has always been mentally a very strong person, now she feels very vulnerable and sort of clings to me. And I, in turn, am very worried for her.. I keep thinking.. Hope the operation goes off without a hitch..hope she heals well, without any complications.. That is one part of the turmoil I'm going through..horrible worry..
DeleteBut, with guilty shame in my heart, I admit to myself that I have another selfish turmoil going on within.. You know I paint, but I just can't seem to here.. Looking after Ma takes up a lot of time..her eye drops have to be given every two hours (because of her joint disability, she can't grip or squeeze tubes) plus I cook for her to make sure she gets nutritious food cooked healthily.. Painting is a very self-absorbing activity.. At least for me, I need to be fully focused on it, or else I just can't do it..
I had planned to go to Mumbai earlier, because I get the kind of prolonged free time I need to do my painting there..but Ma had been reluctant to let me go..I finally persuaded her and had booked my ticket for the end of this month, but now, with her operation coming up, I will only be able to go by the end of Sept. And, though I do want to be with her during her time of need, I am also feeling frustrated at not being able to paint.. And this is filling me with a great feeling of turmoil and shame, because I feel I am being very selfish for putting my needs in front of hers..
So, you see, I am not such a wonderful person as you seem to think I am.
And, yes, I know you have great patience, I can sense it.. But I worry as I reveal this selfishness in me whether you can also be non-judgemental about it. You know we all get judgemental about other people.. I try not to, but often I catch myself being judgemental..
By what you have written above I completely stick to my belief of You being a wonderful person with renewed faith. I must say you seem to be balancing every act in life pretty well , something I always struggle to achieve or let’s say attempt to achieve and can never get it just right. Caring for your loved one is one thing and actively being there for all of them at times of need to back up your claims of caring is completely different and indeed immensely commendable.
ReplyDeleteYou have all the right in the world, in fact I would say it is your responsibility as well to cater to your own needs, that’s in no way putting yourself ahead of anyone. Don’t ever beat yourself up too much for that. Painting is almost like a whistle on a pressure cooker(A pathetic analogy I know) for some(me as well) and we all know what happens if we don’t let it go off in a while or so
As I too paint a bit I can realise what u mean when you say painting is self-absorbing. It is indeed so in fact much more than that. To me it’s like a soliloquy, a part of life’s play where u paint your thought aloud onto a canvas and to be able to hear one’s thoughts clearly one needs to have peace and calm both within oneself and outside to say the least. I particularly feel horribly uncomfortable if anyone wants to see my unfinished work. I am not claiming to be an artist here but to myself I am one, and I hate to imagine anyone judging my paintings in any way…be it content, style technique or simply technicality. Telling the wrongs from right technique wise is one thing and judging is another.
You won’t believe but there are times when I go without painting of just say leave my half finished work for days and months (also a year once) just because I don’t find myself being able to concentrate due to various reasons. Too much noise, too many people, too many eager family members craning their necks over my easel or simple because I don’t feel like it. Painting to me is like a Calling, it’s not a task, not a job it’s something that has a mind of its own I guess. It will happen when it has to happen. Do it as and when it suits you. There aint any hurry.
Get yourself a sketchbook and some watercolour pencils (I am in love with them) and a kneadable eraser(or any pencil and eraser) keep them in your bag somewhere handy. Sketch something here and there, filling the gaps from your schedule and finish it off with water and a paintbrush anytime you have a bigger window of time. I am sure you will feel better and also be able to paint on the go. Paint bigger ones when u have enough time.
One obvious problem being our people, they just can’t let someone be. You will have plenty of onlookers, the occasional commenters as well (most of them of course will mean well). But I guess we just have to live with that in a fantastic country like ours.
I too hope that everything goes well with your mom’s operation and she bounces back just fine. My prayers are with you. I wish you all the strength of mind and body for being able to be the Diva that u are
CHEERS !!
Sorry for the late reply, something went wrong with my iPad..was just not connecting to the internet.. My bro finally solved the prob.. I'm a dodo about these electronic stuff :/
DeleteAnyway, Dear Anonymous, your reply is so beautiful..and such a relief.. My heart and throat were kind of choked, afraid that your regard for me would diminish.. I am often misunderstood, hence the worry.. But, I'm no Diva, and I don't feel I'm wonderful at all.. As for balancing everything in life.. oh, I make so many mistakes, I stumble so many times.. I've got lots of internal stuff going on.. which I think is the root cause for the quick anger I sometimes get caught in.. resentments about past baggage..unable to let them go.. My Ma often tells me to let it all go, to accept life as it is..only then will I find my peace.. I try.. And most of the time I am at peace, until something happens, and I lose it.. I tell my Ma, jokingly, that I'm a PWIP (perpetual work in progress) :) ..Anyway, so you see, I'm not always successful with my balancing act :)
And I don't think I'm doing anything special by taking physical care of my loved ones.. especially my Ma now.. How can I ever forget the kind of selfless caring and looking after she did for me all my life. I am strong and healthy because she took care of me..the least I can do in return is be there for her in her time of need, that's why I'm feeling shame and guilt..
As for painting.. your analogy perfect.. Indeed, when I don't let the whistle go off, unbeknownst to me, it keeps building up inside.. And usually that's when I lose my balance.. Now that you've defined it, I'll watch out for it, and be able to better control my frustration, and not allow it to take over..
I love the way you describe what your painting means to you.. A soliloquy wherein you express your thoughts aloud on your canvas.. :) .. For me, it's a sort of strange zone I get into..time ceases to exist, outside life kind of disappears.. I just get absorbed in the smearing of colour.. I don't know why that gives me such a sense of satisfaction and fulfilment.. And yes, in order to be able to get into that zone, or state of bliss, it's vitally important to have peace and quiet, both within and outside.. It's not that I regard myself as a great artist or anything like that.. I don't think that that's important.. Drawing/Painting is just something I've always had within me, and often it just needs to express itself..it's really that simple.. I just feel joy when I just paint.. I'm sure it's the same for you.. I would love to see some of your artwork..
I think all artists leave work unfinished.. And yes, we go through days months sometimes years without painting.. for all the reasons you mentioned.. The trouble with my feelings of frustration is that I feel time is slipping by..and feel sudden urges to goad myself.. force myself.. At my age, I feel unless I push myself it will never get done... One has just so much time on earth.. It's not endless, which one thinks when one is young :) .. Plus, as we age physical degeneration does occur, the eyesight fails (this thought occurred when Ma was diagnosed with cataracts), one's dexterity diminishes.. and so on..
As for other people being judgmental about the stuff I paint.. I don't mind too much being critiqued by someone who knows about art, whether in technique or just the subject matter.. I pay attention to that critique, think it over, and either use the advice if I think it works for me, or just let it go.. Though, I must admit, I do feel sensitive about even that, but I am willing to tolerate it. But I feel very irritated if someone clueless about art criticises, usually due to some preconceived notions they may have about subject matter..(usually non-arty people have probs with the subject matter, not technique).. But I have decided that I will try and not be so hypersensitive about even ignorant critiquing. Contd.
But to go a little deeper about how an artist expresses herself/himself.. Now we come to the rather grey area of how much freedom an artist has of self expression.. MF Husain of course comes to mind..
DeleteI have been thinking about this for quite a while.. While I am all for freedom of self expression, I find I do have problems when I feel an artist displays double standards, denigrating a certain culture..perhaps because he/she knows they can get away with it, or for deeper reasons of an agenda to denigrate.. Why, for instance, didn't Husain ever paint anything Islamic that could be termed iconoclastic.. About the Prophet, the events in his life, the women in his life..and so on.. Why was his so called iconoclasm focused only on Hindu symbols..? When an artist censors herself/himself about one culture, Islamic, as far as Husain is concerned, but exercises full freedom of expression of another culture, which he/she may be familiar with, or unfamiliar, then it becomes hugely problematic.. An artist must seek to be honest and truthful about whatever he/she expresses, is where I draw the line.. If one is an iconoclast, it must express itself across the board.. And yet, as soon as one draws lines about what can/should be expressed, how it should be, it does negate freedom of expression, which should be the right of everybody.. What do you think about this matter?
Your sketchbook idea is very good.. I've been thinking about that too.. And yes, try and squeeze in short sketches whenever I get the time.. I've heard about watercolour pencils..I must try them out..
Yes, do keep your thoughts on my Ma when you pray.. She is understandably scared..and me, my sis and bro are very worried too.. Thanks for cheering me up, I wish I could explain how you give me so much strength just by being there, somewhere, and caring.. without even meeting or knowing me.. I feel blessed.. And, must admit, I like being called 'Diva' :))
BTW, if I fall inexplicably silent here, then it has to do with either the internet connection or the iPad.. And my bro is off for a 10 day jaunt to Canada, so am gonna be on my own here, so if anything goes wrong with these electronics, I'm gonna be stuck.. :/ I swear I feel withdrawal symptoms if I can't connect, I've become such an internet junkie.. LOL..
Thanks Rita for such a refreshing reply. And about the delay it’s no problem at all (No denying the fact that I wait your response eagerly every time. It’s such a pleasure reading u).
ReplyDeleteYes would have ever become of us if not for internet….who knows? Or maybe we have put ourselves in this awkward place where we r practically brainless without internet. Having completed my entire school life and almost 3 years of my 4 year college life without internet I have a strange kind of respect and fear of internet. No doubt it helps us immensely and we can’t even imagine what we would have ever done without it but somewhere I feel the fear of being a bonded slave of internet, wherein I do as said and not as should be.
Given that we have so little time left to ourselves after toggling between personal and professional life I always have nightmares that I will never be able to finish reading even half of the books I want to or even a quarters of things I want to paint before my life is done. In a silly feat I often bring books to office as well but needless to say I can’t even turn a page throughout my work day. But still the joy of having a book in your bag beats every other blue I guess.
Yours views about Husain is indeed thought provoking. I don’t know if I would hurt your feelings any way by saying this but I don’t like him at all. He might have an artistic genius indeed but I don’t appreciate his content and style too much. Not that my opinion means or matters at all and anyway a Husain would keep selling in millions, but I find his work very very disturbing. This brings me back to your views on his work.
I appreciate and idolize art work from artists like Abanindranth Tagore, Shanu Lahiri, Ganesh Pyne and so many more Genius artists from our Bengal school of art Or other Modern Indian or Indian fine arts. I don’t really like work from most of the artists of the progressive artists group. Creative freedom of expression is one thing and vulgarity is another and Husain’s work to me, leans more towards the latter. To me whenever a poet or a writer or a painter knows that there is a humongous price tag that’s attached to his creative work I guess the expression changes. At least I think so. How can someone be completely honest in something he knows he will sell? I mean at least for once he will think about his target audience about what sells well. And that’s when a piece of art comes down to be a commodity. That’s when it loses its connection with the audience. Or so I feel. Just like one can never write a personal diary note if he knows it would sell and the world out there will read it. I mean how one can ever write about his own flaws and let if out for the world to read. So with painting, and other literary forms of self-expression.
Sure Rita I will show u some of my work (more of a mess and less if a work I guess) sometime. Actually I write here from my office laptop and there is nothing in here. I will connect one day from home and share with you. I loveeeeeeee simply love watercolour pencils and actually there is nothing not to love about them. It’s awesome you just have to try it once. I suggest Staedtler Karat Aquarelle Watercolour Pencils if you are buying from India. Or Caran d’Ache Supra color or Prismacolor Premier Watercolor Colored Pencils if you are getting it from The US. But that’s my suggestion do check out YouTube videos and reviews for further reference. I have only discovered the beauty of these pencils like some 4 years ago and since then we have an affair altogether.
ReplyDeleteIt’s not every day that I get to discuss about paintings or art supplies with someone who appreciates it as much. Especially someone who understands what I mean when I say I have nightmares about not being able to paint or read. Not many people around does. I feel blessed indeed and I owe you big Thanks for your time and patience. I look forward to your replies. But for the wonderful replies that you sent, a little wait is so much worth it. And you are not just anybody to me. I hope everyone back at home got a chance to know you better before hurling their judgements at you. Free spirit is not something everyone can adapt well with I guess. Too bad we are not born to please everyone.
I wish you and your Maa all the strength and will keep her in my prayers. She will recover just fine .Take care, Bye for now.
1) My Ma has got a slight temperature since yesterday and I'm worried, mainly because I'm alone here with her, my bro's gone on his Canada trip.. One reassurance I have is that the neighbours are very helpful and caring.. As I told you, because of her immunosuppressant medication she catches infections very easily.. Anyway, she's is resting now..
DeleteDid you read my latest post about my Johor-Kaku... ? It was meant for you, and I had wanted to post it here, but it got so lengthy, and because of the word limit in this 'comment' section, it becomes a pain post in multiple sections.. Anyway, what did you think of my uncle's poetry..which I surmise it is..
Which reminds me.. My Ma recounted another little memory about Johor-Kaku.. He had many friends amongst the upcoming as well as famous artists, writers, poets, etc. of that time, one of them with whom he had a close friendship with was Sunil Gangopadhyay (have you read any of his works?). When Johor-Kaku died, Sunil Gangopadhyay went for his funeral..while the ceremonies were being performed, Johor-Kaku's son, Rudra, who was very young then and didn't understand what was going on, was playing with the neighbourhood kids, flying kites. Suddenly he started howling uncontrollably because his kite's string was cut and he lost it. On witnessing that, Sunil Gangopadhyay said to my father: "Poor child, he doesn't know yet what he has really lost." And my already grieving father began weeping disconsolately...Contd.
2) Coming to our discussion on art.. Aah.. Ganesh Pyne, the painter of dark.. I find his works fascinating.. I've always been drawn to dark themes, indicative of our mortality.... Yes, I agree about the Bengal School of Art vs the so-called "Progressives".. I guess they called themselves that because they rejected the traditional/nationalist style of the Bengal School for the international, or rather Western, styles that spawned there such as Impressionism, Expressionism, Cubism etc. I don't know why Indians, especially the ones with a leftist bent, have such a slavish mentality about the gora West, and feel so ashamed of their own Indian roots, especially if it has anything to do with nationalism.
DeleteBut more than the styles, which I actually don't mind at all, as long as one doesn't put "progressive" labels on them, what I dislike about the progressives, one of their prominent leaders being Husain, is their leftist leanings, and thereby, agenda. I strongly suspect that this is the reason for Husain's depiction of Hindus' symbols of reverence. And our so-called secular intellectuals will never criticise this, in the garb of "freedom of expression", because all of them belong to the same pseudo-secular club.
As for commodification/commercialism of art.. I have mixed feelings about that.. While I do understand and agree with you about art remaining essentially truer of the artist's self expression when he/she is not consciously doing it with an eye at "what will sell", still, artists do have to eat, pay their house mortgages, take care of children..all the worldly stuff that they would rather escape from if they could.. So, they can either stay with their art and use it as a source of income, which would mean creating what sells, or find some other means of earning a living, which would mean they would have to spend less time with what is their raison d'être, their art. A conundrum, isn't it? Very few can be Van Gogh..though he suffered so much penury as a result.. Apparently he resorted to painting flowers and trees because he didn't have money to pay models to pose for him, in order for him to do figuratives..Contd.
3) Talking about the Internet.. It has been a source of information expansion, as well as intellectual and artistic expansion for me. My poetic and writerly self found nascent self expression through it, for which I am eternally grateful. When I first got a computer and access to the net, one of the first things I sought was the company of fellow artists, mostly just to connect and see what they were doing. And to my delight I found a few sites that helped me to nurture and learn and explore this part of me. Kind, knowledgeable people gave me tips, feedback and lots of positive encouragement. I discovered my poetic self relatively late, so I was completely unsure of myself..often questioning myself about the worth.. Knowledgeable poets who were prominent in these sites gave me a lot of self confidence about my writing..
ReplyDeleteBut, apart from my artistic self getting a boost, the internet also helped me to connect with the world.. The political thoughts going on.. and so on .. And of course it's a source of so much information about any topic one may be interested in, be it art or politics.. And then, with the advent of social media.. twitter, especially, I have learnt, and am learning, so much about my own country..just listening to people speak..because that is what my TL seems to me, people chatting about various things..gives so much insight about the ethos of our country.. I follow mostly Indians, usually those interested in the political scene, because I primarily want to know what's going on in this regard. But, yes, as a result, I have almost stopped reading books now.. something that would have been unthinkable in the past.. So, now I am resorting to downloading books on my iBooks and Kindle now.. The trouble is, nowadays I am interested in reading about Indian history, both about the past and not the stuff written by leftists, as well as contemporary history.. But I find very little of that.. Are you interested in Indian history? If you are, do you know of sites where I can find what I'm seeking?
Thanks for the info about watercolour pencils.. Now I know what to look for when I visit the art supply shop.. And, I too am really enjoying our chats here, whether about art, or any other topic.. I don't know why I feel so much at ease with you about talking about deeper things going on within me, which I normally don't talk about with anyone at all.. Thanks for being there and being so understanding..it means a lot to me.. Take care.. :)