I'm going to try and follow the practice which has become very popular now amongst artists - the 'paint a day' project. The idea is to take a small subject and finish it in a couple of hours or so.. and, as is obvious, to do a painting everyday. I also want to use this form of exercise to practice painting in a looser, free-er style, which is evident in this painting. I don't know if I'll be able to sustain this style for long though. Even while I painted this, I kept wanting to make it precise and controlled. Apparently being as controlled as I am in my paintings is a sign of anxiety.. a sign of unsureness.. Which may be true - I certainly am beset with anxiety and unsure-ness each time I start a painting. While I always thought I was a bad case of artist's anxiety, I've met someone in my painting workshop who is hyper-anxious. She almost breaks into tears before starting each session.. and I am the one usually who tries to reassure her.. hahaha. But then, I do understand what she goes through, so it's natural enough.
Tuesday, January 14, 2014
The empty tube of paint
I'm going to try and follow the practice which has become very popular now amongst artists - the 'paint a day' project. The idea is to take a small subject and finish it in a couple of hours or so.. and, as is obvious, to do a painting everyday. I also want to use this form of exercise to practice painting in a looser, free-er style, which is evident in this painting. I don't know if I'll be able to sustain this style for long though. Even while I painted this, I kept wanting to make it precise and controlled. Apparently being as controlled as I am in my paintings is a sign of anxiety.. a sign of unsureness.. Which may be true - I certainly am beset with anxiety and unsure-ness each time I start a painting. While I always thought I was a bad case of artist's anxiety, I've met someone in my painting workshop who is hyper-anxious. She almost breaks into tears before starting each session.. and I am the one usually who tries to reassure her.. hahaha. But then, I do understand what she goes through, so it's natural enough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment