Thursday, January 23, 2014

the boy next door







Well, I lost my nerve.. couldn't do the Suchitra Sen. The problem is, I haven't done a portrait in ages. The most difficult part of painting them is to get the tones right in order to depict facial contours along with skin tones.. that's bloddy hard! And I often wonder why.. after all the head is just an egg-shaped oval, just that it has features in it. But when one does get into painting this egg-shape, one realises the subtle shadows and skin tones that are created by the light hitting it.. and while one gets engrossed in trying to capture that, one also must try and capture the essence of the person, so that it doesn't become merely a face, if you get what I mean.

Anyway, so I decided I had to do some practice portraits before plunging into the Suchitra Sen one. And I rather like what I have done in this one.. so my confidence level has gone up a notch. But I think I'll do a couple more before I do my Suchitra.

No comments:

Post a Comment