Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Still Life with Oranges and an Avocado Seed









I love the gorgeous colour of this variety of oranges - so rich and painterly! I added the dried avocado seed to the composition to contrast it with the bright hues of the oranges. I clicked it from various angles in order to gauge which lighting effects and composition I like the best. I have to observe these pictures more closely and then decide which one I will paint. Maybe I'll paint all four - I think all of them look beautiful.

A thought about Still Life art, whether in painting or in photography: My preference is for Still Lifes that are not cluttered by too many elements. I also dislike contrived Still Lifes wherein objects, usually many of them, are arranged self consciously. Often it's because the artist wants to show off his/her prowess. When I see those Still Lifes the only message I get is the artist proclaiming to me "Look, I can paint so many objects, aren't I great!". It leaves me completely bored. Instead, I prefer Still Lifes that have minimum elements, which capture the essence of that object.

No comments:

Post a Comment