The painting on top is mine, the second one is by Ravi, a friend I've made in my painting workshop, whose approach to painting I find completely fascinating. In our workshop we are given a picture, given instructions along with demonstration about how one can go about painting it, and then left to ourselves to paint it as we feel. As you can see, my approach in this one is far more controlled than Ravi's. I stuck to the instructions given by our guide as well as the visual information I gleaned from the picture of this still life. Hence my pots, the flowers and the leaves on the table, as well as the background and the table are precise. Ravi on the other hand listened to the instructions, observed the picture, and then went ahead and interpreted it as he saw and felt it in his inner eye - and I love the effects he has created. While mine is a competent painting, his is sheer genius. And he's new to painting.. being an architect by profession, he just joined the workshop to try his hand at it. And what he's producing is some very interesting art in the expressionist style and he doesn't even know what that term means :) - And I am filled with sheer envy... Sigh.. !
Monday, January 13, 2014
Same picture, Different strokes
The painting on top is mine, the second one is by Ravi, a friend I've made in my painting workshop, whose approach to painting I find completely fascinating. In our workshop we are given a picture, given instructions along with demonstration about how one can go about painting it, and then left to ourselves to paint it as we feel. As you can see, my approach in this one is far more controlled than Ravi's. I stuck to the instructions given by our guide as well as the visual information I gleaned from the picture of this still life. Hence my pots, the flowers and the leaves on the table, as well as the background and the table are precise. Ravi on the other hand listened to the instructions, observed the picture, and then went ahead and interpreted it as he saw and felt it in his inner eye - and I love the effects he has created. While mine is a competent painting, his is sheer genius. And he's new to painting.. being an architect by profession, he just joined the workshop to try his hand at it. And what he's producing is some very interesting art in the expressionist style and he doesn't even know what that term means :) - And I am filled with sheer envy... Sigh.. !
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Envy and Art doesnt travel in the same train............ur's one is as lovely as his.
ReplyDeleteOh, I didn't mean it literally.. I meant admiration. Of course envy is silly, and not only in art. But yes, especially so in art. Each of us have our own voice and expression.
DeleteThank you for appreciating mine.. (And his).. :)