I took out a few of my old National Geographic magazines in search of some dramatic mountain pictures - Nat Geo has such spectacular photographs, especially of nature - but chanced upon some fabulous pictures of space taken by the Hubble, and I just had to do one (had always hankered to paint galaxies and nebulae and so on). Again, the photograph, or the glossy shine of the reflected light from the wet paint has whited out the subtle colours and depth of the painting. Sigh!
I'm quite excited about this painting. I tried it out on a small canvas board and have decided I certainly need to do some big ones of this theme. I may even do a series of them. Must say Pollock indeed had a happy happy time painting his spacey abstracts.. no wonder he got addicted to it. Although I did not use his spatter/sprinkle technique, but would love to try it on a big canvas. Apart from Pollock, I also thought of Van Gogh and his Starry Night - what a fantastic painting that is! And Van Gogh painted it out of sheer brilliant imagination; he didn't have the luxury of the Hubble nor the national Geographic.
As I didn't want to merely copycat the pictures from Nat Geo, and feeling my painting lacked an additional pizazz.. you know, that bit of oomph that paintings need.. I suddenly thought of adding those squiggly, snaky things.. and I feel it works beautifully. makes the painting alive and dynamic.. not merely a combination of beautiful colours.. although that by itself is pretty awesome. Anyway, so I'm feeling rather proud of myself for thinking it up... The seeding.. the birth.. the creation.. of the Universe are what come to my mind. This painting will be a knock out on a large canvas.. what could be happier than that.. :)
I'm quite excited about this painting. I tried it out on a small canvas board and have decided I certainly need to do some big ones of this theme. I may even do a series of them. Must say Pollock indeed had a happy happy time painting his spacey abstracts.. no wonder he got addicted to it. Although I did not use his spatter/sprinkle technique, but would love to try it on a big canvas. Apart from Pollock, I also thought of Van Gogh and his Starry Night - what a fantastic painting that is! And Van Gogh painted it out of sheer brilliant imagination; he didn't have the luxury of the Hubble nor the national Geographic.
As I didn't want to merely copycat the pictures from Nat Geo, and feeling my painting lacked an additional pizazz.. you know, that bit of oomph that paintings need.. I suddenly thought of adding those squiggly, snaky things.. and I feel it works beautifully. makes the painting alive and dynamic.. not merely a combination of beautiful colours.. although that by itself is pretty awesome. Anyway, so I'm feeling rather proud of myself for thinking it up... The seeding.. the birth.. the creation.. of the Universe are what come to my mind. This painting will be a knock out on a large canvas.. what could be happier than that.. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment