It was a little too mundane, even plebeian
One could say
The cleaver’s hacking of the deadened joint
A commonplace enough event
In any roadside butcher’s shop.
One hardly smelt the blood spattered
Threadbare face he wore
As he struck with insensate swoops.
One barely registered the entrails and the gizzard
And pieces of a heart, still throbbing
Lying in clumped lumps – lesser meat for lesser folk.
I must hurry out in the clean sunshine
Dip my eyes in the burning glare
Up to the roots of my burning toes
Still that throbbing in those
Pieces of my heart.
I will seek my reimbursement where the peepal leaves shudder
In the cloud-winds that whip the grasses of boulder strewn hills
That purple my horizon.
I will walk. I will watch. I will sometimes even touch.
But never to feel. Never to feel. The need
That feeds like blind gastropods that worm up from the sodden earth.
The sodden earth where I lie buried. Hair, teeth and limbs.
And of course those pieces of my heart
Still throbbing, but only just. But only just.
I must hurry out in the clean sunshine
Dip my eyes in the burning glare
Up to the roots of my burning toes
Still the throbbing in those
Pieces of my heart.
by Rita Putatunda
One could say
The cleaver’s hacking of the deadened joint
A commonplace enough event
In any roadside butcher’s shop.
One hardly smelt the blood spattered
Threadbare face he wore
As he struck with insensate swoops.
One barely registered the entrails and the gizzard
And pieces of a heart, still throbbing
Lying in clumped lumps – lesser meat for lesser folk.
I must hurry out in the clean sunshine
Dip my eyes in the burning glare
Up to the roots of my burning toes
Still that throbbing in those
Pieces of my heart.
I will seek my reimbursement where the peepal leaves shudder
In the cloud-winds that whip the grasses of boulder strewn hills
That purple my horizon.
I will walk. I will watch. I will sometimes even touch.
But never to feel. Never to feel. The need
That feeds like blind gastropods that worm up from the sodden earth.
The sodden earth where I lie buried. Hair, teeth and limbs.
And of course those pieces of my heart
Still throbbing, but only just. But only just.
I must hurry out in the clean sunshine
Dip my eyes in the burning glare
Up to the roots of my burning toes
Still the throbbing in those
Pieces of my heart.
by Rita Putatunda
No comments:
Post a Comment