Friday, April 11, 2014

Beautiful Bangalore, Dying to paint

It's about 10:30 in the night, everybody's asleep at home, except for me. Strangely, am not sleepy at all, considering the 2-1/2 hour walk I had this morning. I woke up at about 3:30 am.. which seems to be the time my body clock has set for Bangalore.. did my yoga and pranayama, gave Ma her tea and a little bite of breakfast and decided to go for a walk when the sky started lightening up. Although Sumit and I have been walking around Nandini Layout (where we live), I was longing to set off on the walks I used to take way back then, years and years ago.. to my favourite idli/dosa/filter-coffee place, Udupas, in Rajajinagar.. about 45 minutes walk from here. This morning I just took off. Things have changed quite a bit here.. many new buildings and so on, and I've never been good at finding routes despite being familiar, so it took a while. Even that early in the morning there was quite a bit of traffic.. and people here in India (including me when I drive) love to blast their horns liberally (obviously I'm still in Seattle mode mentally, where you hardly ever hear a vehicle horn blowing), so that was off putting, somewhat.. but since the terrain here is similar to Seattle (and Pune) with fairly steep ups and downs, I got a pretty good workout.. and even though sadly Udupas no longer exists (an ugly building has come up in its place) I finally did enjoy the walk.. I plan to set off earlier tomorrow, maybe then I'll escape the petro fumes and horn blasts.

An old friend of Sumit's is coming for dinner tomorrow, so we will be busy cooking most of the morning..

Ma is much better now.. has begun acclimatising to the weather, the heat, here (the rains we got helped a lot), and as I predicted, her asthma and general ling condition has improved.. so I think it was a good decision to get away from the cold climes of Seattle.

I am getting strong urges to restart my painting.. One of these days I'll just spread out a canvas, open those tubes of paint, pick up my brushes, and slather on the colours.. must capture the greenery of Bangalore..

No comments:

Post a Comment