Wow, can you see how rich the colours are of the flowers, and I haven't touched them, just added the leaves. The picture I took yesterday of this painting (sans the leaves) was indoors, with low light. Today I decided to take it outside and click it, hence the colours are showing true now.
Well, I decided the painting looked too bare, the leaves just had to be added, and though I was hesitant, I'm so glad I did. It does make the painting look more complete. I also strengthened the stems a little, wondering if I should do more of that. Seriously, I never feel a painting is complete, the more I look at it, the more I feel I need to add to it. But no, I must not, or I'll just overwork it and it will lose its spontaneity. That's also part of creativity, or creation - knowing when to let go.
I remember when my son was born, looking into his innocent, wondering eyes as he wriggled and looked around at this strange realm he had come into. I was really not ready to have a kid; I didn't know how I would take care of him, raise him, teach him... And no, when they say that it all comes instinctively, I know it does not - not for me at least. This much I knew instinctively, that it would be a learning process, both for him and me. And it would be a continuation of the creation that had begun in my womb. So I learned, while he learned too, and the years went by. Mistakes were made, sure, but so were right things.. Some came from instinct, but most came from trial and error and corrections.
But as he grew, he chafed at the mother-son relationship... and I came to realise, though it took a while, that it was time to let go.. that he had become a person in his own right... and that too was part of creation/creativity.
Letting go applies to most things in life, whether it's a child you've brought into this world, or a painting you've created... or, ultimately, one's own existence on earth.

No comments:
Post a Comment