Ha, finally made myself colour the fruit and vase, although in a new painting! I did it by just eschewing the underpainting.. I know I would've become so enamoured with my underpainting that I just wouldn't put the colour on. It's important to work with colours for me at the moment, just to get back the feel for them, their behaviour, so to speak. Painting is much like any other skill, as I said in a past blog. So it gets rusty or wobbly if you don't do it regularly. When I restarted my painting after the long gap I stupidly gave it I would often tear my hair out in frustration - simple things which came naturally to me eluded me. But now, I'm feeling quite upbeat - it's all coming back - what joy! But the thing with something as obsessive as painting is that one just doesn't have time for anything else in life. Your canvas, paints, brush just take over your life.
Every time I finish a painting - although I'm wondering if I should add put some flowers or a plant in the vase, so technically this is not done yet - I feel a sense of emptiness. One enjoys the process so much, one gets so engrossed in it, with heart mind soul, that suddenly when you put that last stroke of paint and realise it's done, there seems to be a yawning gap in your life. Of course there is the next painting to do, that's not the point. The point is that your love affair, your obsession with this one is over, and you feel the lingering waves of nostalgia for it.
I think I shall keep doing more of these vases, fruit, flowers stuff - enjoying them so much. Though I do have a sort of a darkish landscape forming at the recesses of my mind - saw a picture of it in the National Geographic, which I want to adapt to the one my mind is creating, based on that.

No comments:
Post a Comment