Thursday, November 21, 2013

In these green shades of Madhuban


(trying my hand out on a completely different genre - not easy for me since I'm so convent educated anglicized)


Radha O Radha, my lovely,
Why don’t you believe me,
I am your dark lover,
Your Kanha, who loves you
With all his heart,
Come my sweet Radha,
Wipe those sulks off
Your fair face,
Come, your Kanha will
Play a tune just for you
On his bansuri,
In these green shades
Of Madhuban

Kanha O Kanha, my dark lover,
You say you love me,
But I’ve seen you play
With the gopikas in
These green shades
Of Madhuban,
I’ve heard you play
The same tunes for them
That you play for me
On your bansuri,
In these green shades
Of Madhuban

Radha, O my lovely Radha,
You know I merely dally
With those gopikas,
Look into my heart
In my heart there is only one,
Only one fair face,
And that is yours,
My sweet Radha,
Come, come, come to
Your Kanha,
In these green shades
Of Madhuban

Kanha, O my dark trecherous Kanha,
You whisper your sweet lies
Into your Radha’s ears,
Like honey dripping
From the bees’ hive,
But like the bee you sting me
When you dally
With the gopikas,
Laughing and cavorting
With them
In these green shades
Of Madhuban

O Radha, my lovely Radha,
Can’t you hear the sweet
Tune I play for you,
Can’t you see
How I long for you,
How my arms ache
For you,
How my heart swells
For you,
Come, my lovely,
Your place is here,
On your Kanha’s
Dark breast,
Within his loving arms,
Which long for your
Lovely charms,
In these green shades
Of Madhuban

O Kanha, my dark dark lover,
You whisper in my ears
Like you whisper
In your bansuri,
You play your fingers
On your Radha’s
Tender longings,
Like you play
On your bansuri,
And like your bansuri
That bursts into sweet tune,
Your Radha bursts
Into song,
O Kanha, O Kanha, O my Kanha,
My dark dark lover,
In these green shades
Of Madhuban

-by Rita Putatunda

No comments:

Post a Comment