A stranger you are
Yet nearer to me
Than any love
I wonder
With wondering heart
What can I give to you
And what in turn
Can you offer me
When you without any question
Spoken on your lips
And I a thousand questions
Hidden in my heart
Stand facing each other
Apart
I know
With the knowledge
Of the heart
Whatever I can give to you
And what you proffer me
With both arms outstretched
Will be
Less than it should be
If I offer you a song
A song loses its meaning
With time falls silent
If you offer me a flower
Flowers fade and wither
With time crumple
Into dust
So then with a stone heart you say to me
So then dear let us not let
The ripping claws of
Reality
Tear and shred
The gossamer wings of
Illusion
Let us instead keep
Our dreams
Alive --- Apart
So then with a heart bereft of even tears I say to
you
So then love when you hear a song
A song that sings my name
Let the melody linger
On your lips
Forever
And when I see a wayside flower
Blooming in the dust
Which with burst of colour
Brings to mind your name
I will hold it in my eyes
Forever
So then love if that must be so
Let us walk
On our different paths
Forever --- Apart
-by Rita Putatunda
No comments:
Post a Comment