Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Unruly


Yep, I think "Unruly" is a befitting title for this painting. Although oils still remain my favourite medium, every time I try out acrylics, I enjoy it anew. So I think I'll just let it rest. Enjoy both and be at peace with myself.. LOL.. Bought myself a packet of oil pastels, which I used to play around with in the past. I love the soft textures one can create with them.. will probably do a similar flower painting with them.. if I'm still in the mood.

At the moment I am in this flowers, vases, fruits mood. These are basically practice pieces. This one, for example, helped to practice painting loose, while exploring tonal applications to create a feeling of depth. Flowers and fruits offer me the best opportunity to explore tones. One of the biggest challenges is of course trying to create a three dimensional illusion on a two dimensional surface.. depicting changes in tone helps to create that. It's always fun and exciting to explore this aspect of art, whether one is creating it or views it in others' art works.

Brush work also needs constant practice, and flowers are one of the best subjects to practice that, I've found. And then, the subtle colourings.. Oh, I love it all - the sheer joy of painting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment