This one took me a while. Done in oils, and that too with thick layers, I had to wait for each layer to dry, or at least semi dry, before adding the next layer. Meanwhile, of course, I did get on with some other paintings I'm doing.
Painting white blossoms is great fun, because white is never simply white. Shadows and reflected light and colours from the atmosphere and neighbouring objects reflect on white. Yet, while adding those colours, one has to take care to make it look white. Which is challenging. And I love it when it gets challenging. Painting can become a bit of a bore if it gets too easy. Though, I must say, that with each piece that I'm finishing, the next one gets easier, in terms of manipulating the paints, creating special effects - do look at the leaves closely, I love the effects I've created on them - and general ease of something one gets used to because one is doing it regularly.
Though I'm really loving these still lifes - the adherence and discipline to creating realistic forms and structures, which I feel I need to go through at this stage - every time I start putting paint on my canvas, I keep getting visions of the abstracts I'm dying to do. I'm feeling so torn. Should I do what I feel is a necessary step on my art journey, or just give in to what my heart wants to do?
I met and made friends with a couple of artists this week. I chatted with them and they said certainly I should follow my heart :)

No comments:
Post a Comment