A couple of days back, coincidentally, since Rituporno Ghosh was a topic of our conversation recently, while searching for a passably good movie to watch on TV, my Ma and I chanced upon Shob Choritro Kalponik by Rituporno Ghosh on one of the Bangla channels. A 'must see' if you haven't seen it... Apart from it being a good movie, my Ma made an interesting comment about it.. She said that it seems the movie has been based on my uncle's (my father's youngest brother, Subrata Chakraborty, who was a poet) and his wife's life story.. Here's a good review of the movie: http://se7enmm.blogspot.in/2009/09/shob-charitra-kalponik-lost-poem-in.html - In the movie the character named Indraneel, played by Prasenjit (he's such a good actor compared to his father, isn't he?), is the poet..i.e. my uncle, his wife, Radhika, played by Bipasha Basu, my uncle's wife, Maya, and Radhika's friend Shekhar, played by Jisshu Sengupta, is actually Buddhadeb Dasgupta whom my aunt Maya had had a close relationship with, much gossiped about in my father's family.
One story my Ma recounts is how Buddhadeb Dasgupta had told my uncle (his dak-naam was Johor (Jawahar), so I used to call him Johor-Kaku) to write the script of one of his movies, which my uncle did, but felt cheated when his name was not there in the movie's credits. And yet my aunt Maya continued her close friendship with him.
Anyway, nowhere in the movie 'Shob Choritro Kalponik' is it said that it's based on a true story..but my Ma is completely convinced it is my Johor-Kaku's & Maya-Kakima's story. At least the bare bones of it.. such as the constant strife there was in their household because Johor-Kaku, like most artists, was completely impractical about money, disinterested in earning a living to run the house, or take part in various household duties and needs, and would instead be either immersed in his poetry or do "adda" and booze with his literary/artistic friends at the famous "adda" place of Calcutta, the Coffee House, while my Aunt not only worked to make ends meet, but also had to handle all the household cares..such as the kids, the chores. And of course my aunt's relationship - whether it was platonic or a full fledged love affair is not known by the family - with Buddhadeb Dasgupta. Plus, neither has Johor-Kaku's poetry been used in the movie.
The interesting thing about Johor-Kaku is that nobody in his family knew that he wrote poetry, and that he had made quite a name for himself in the literary/artistic circles of Calcutta. It was only when he suddenly died of a heart attack at the young age of 38, and when his death was announced in the radio and newspapers, that his family discovered it. In fact, my Ma says that my father had exclaimed in surprise to her when he heard and read tributes to my uncle.. "Hae?! Johor ki kobitha likhto?" To which my Ma had replied caustically, "If you didn't know, how would I know.."!
On hearing this, I felt quite sad, and also felt a sudden affinity to my Johor-Kaku.. I too keep my poetic side of me hidden from my family.. I feel shy to expose that part of myself to them, though, paradoxically I don't mind strangers reading them. Since I used to always doodle/sketch in every bit of paper I got hold of, my parents knew that I could draw, but never knew how important it was to me.. neither did I ever tell them. Likewise my natural singing voice.. my parents came to know I could sing a bit when I sang a song on stage for some function at Singareni Collieries, where my father worked.. But they never thought it could be a serious pursuit for me.. It was much much later when I would ask my father to write Tagore's songs in English script, which I would learn from records, that he would say off handedly that I should pursue music as a career..
Getting back to Johor-Kaku.. I remember him as a bespectacled - with those thick black rimmed square spectacles that were pretty common those days - dark, brooding faced, yet with a pleasant smile, good looking young man. Since we used to spend most of our time at my Mama'r baadi on our annual trips to Calcutta, I am more familiar with my Mamas, Maamis, and Maashis, than my Kakas and Kakimas. But I distinctly remember once when I was about 10 or 11 years old, we had gone to Burdwan to visit my Jethu, Mejho-Kaku and Johor-Kaku, all of whom lived close to each other, and, being a voracious reader those days, my delight on spotting the stuffed bookshelf at Johor-Kaku's house. I of course made straight for it and after riffling through various hardbacks and paperbacks, both Bengali, which I ignored since I couldn't read it, and, joy of joy, English, which I devoured insatiably, I chose Nabokov's Lolita, much to the consternation of various grown-ups there.. They thought it was not a book a 10/11 year old should read.. But Johor-Kaku just smiled languidly and told me to go ahead and read it.. It was beside the point that I didn't quite get what the hell the book was about anyway, at that innocent age..but understood when I read it when I was a little older.. (Which brings me to the point how male writers like Nabokov falsely fantasise about girls/women and create Lolitas).
Anyway, ever since the topic of Johor-Kaku arose, I've been dying to read his poetry. Sadly we don't have any of his poetry in our book collection, many of which are remnants of my father's, who was also a voracious reader. Hence I tried to google, hoping to find some online. I did find a couple of short poems by Subrata Chakraborty, but I don't know if it is my Johor-Kaku, or some other person by the same name. Nevertheless, here are the poems.. Do tell me what you think of them.. I think they're beautiful..
Nichhup
bhanga barir choukathe ekta bhanga frame
gacher pata sukiye o ekta kektas
dhusor bali te ore koaek tukro kagaj
fis fisiye kotha bole oder himshital pran...
-subrata chakraborty
Prakitik
basor ghore pradip nebhano chilo
hasnuhanar gandho choriyechilo
ek fali josna khujchilo aar bolchilo
chere dao amake
ami pradip jaliye asi....
-subrata chakraborty
As an end note, at the end of Shob Choritro Kalponic, there is a poem recited in the background, which my Ma says she used to recite in her childhood.. Here it is:
Amader chhoto nodi chole bnāke bnāke
Amader chhoto nodi chole bnāke bnāke
Boishakh maashe tay hnatu jol thake.
Paar hoe jay goru, paar hoy gaari -
Dui dhaar unchu taar, dhalu taar paari.
Chik chik kore baali, kotha nai kada;
Ekdhare kaash bon – fule fule saada.
Kichi michi kore setha shaliker jhaak,
Raate othe theke theke sheyal-er hnaak.
Aar paare aam bon, taal bon chole-
Gnaaer bamun para tari chaaya tole.
Teere teere chele meye nahibaar kaale,
Aar paare aam bon, taal bon chole-
Gnaaer bamun para tari chaaya tole.
Teere teere chele meye nahibaar kaale,
Gamchai jol bhori, gaye tara dhale.
Shokale bikale kobhu nawa hole pore
Anchole chankiya tara choto mach dhore.
Bali diya maaje thaala, ghotiguli maaje,
Bodhura kapor keche jay grihokaaje.
AshaRe badol naame, nodi bhoro-bhoro-
Matiya chutiya chole dhaara khorotoro.
Mahabege kalkal kolahol othe,
Ghola jole pakguli ghure ghure chote.
Dui kule bone bone pore jay shara,
boroshar utshabe jege othe paara.
Our little river
Our little river flows in graceful loops
The summer heat dries her to a gentle flow,
Both cart and cattle travel across with ease
Her banks are high, her depths are shallow
The sand bed glitters, no trace of mud
The far bank shimmers with Kash flowers white,
where flocks of mynas chirp busily all day
And jackal calls arise at night
This bank shelters sleepy hamlets in the shade
Of ranks of ancient mango and palm tree
At bath times, children swim and play
Splashing water at each other in noisy glee
Each day as their bathing is done
They catch little fish in nets of cloth
Women take home their pots scrubbed clean
Their washing all done, they return to their chores
When the rains descend, the river swells fast
Rushing waters raise voice in happy uproar,
The muddy torrent spins in eddies and swirls
Both banks uniting in joyous clamour
Awake, to join in the festival of rain
One story my Ma recounts is how Buddhadeb Dasgupta had told my uncle (his dak-naam was Johor (Jawahar), so I used to call him Johor-Kaku) to write the script of one of his movies, which my uncle did, but felt cheated when his name was not there in the movie's credits. And yet my aunt Maya continued her close friendship with him.
Anyway, nowhere in the movie 'Shob Choritro Kalponik' is it said that it's based on a true story..but my Ma is completely convinced it is my Johor-Kaku's & Maya-Kakima's story. At least the bare bones of it.. such as the constant strife there was in their household because Johor-Kaku, like most artists, was completely impractical about money, disinterested in earning a living to run the house, or take part in various household duties and needs, and would instead be either immersed in his poetry or do "adda" and booze with his literary/artistic friends at the famous "adda" place of Calcutta, the Coffee House, while my Aunt not only worked to make ends meet, but also had to handle all the household cares..such as the kids, the chores. And of course my aunt's relationship - whether it was platonic or a full fledged love affair is not known by the family - with Buddhadeb Dasgupta. Plus, neither has Johor-Kaku's poetry been used in the movie.
The interesting thing about Johor-Kaku is that nobody in his family knew that he wrote poetry, and that he had made quite a name for himself in the literary/artistic circles of Calcutta. It was only when he suddenly died of a heart attack at the young age of 38, and when his death was announced in the radio and newspapers, that his family discovered it. In fact, my Ma says that my father had exclaimed in surprise to her when he heard and read tributes to my uncle.. "Hae?! Johor ki kobitha likhto?" To which my Ma had replied caustically, "If you didn't know, how would I know.."!
On hearing this, I felt quite sad, and also felt a sudden affinity to my Johor-Kaku.. I too keep my poetic side of me hidden from my family.. I feel shy to expose that part of myself to them, though, paradoxically I don't mind strangers reading them. Since I used to always doodle/sketch in every bit of paper I got hold of, my parents knew that I could draw, but never knew how important it was to me.. neither did I ever tell them. Likewise my natural singing voice.. my parents came to know I could sing a bit when I sang a song on stage for some function at Singareni Collieries, where my father worked.. But they never thought it could be a serious pursuit for me.. It was much much later when I would ask my father to write Tagore's songs in English script, which I would learn from records, that he would say off handedly that I should pursue music as a career..
Getting back to Johor-Kaku.. I remember him as a bespectacled - with those thick black rimmed square spectacles that were pretty common those days - dark, brooding faced, yet with a pleasant smile, good looking young man. Since we used to spend most of our time at my Mama'r baadi on our annual trips to Calcutta, I am more familiar with my Mamas, Maamis, and Maashis, than my Kakas and Kakimas. But I distinctly remember once when I was about 10 or 11 years old, we had gone to Burdwan to visit my Jethu, Mejho-Kaku and Johor-Kaku, all of whom lived close to each other, and, being a voracious reader those days, my delight on spotting the stuffed bookshelf at Johor-Kaku's house. I of course made straight for it and after riffling through various hardbacks and paperbacks, both Bengali, which I ignored since I couldn't read it, and, joy of joy, English, which I devoured insatiably, I chose Nabokov's Lolita, much to the consternation of various grown-ups there.. They thought it was not a book a 10/11 year old should read.. But Johor-Kaku just smiled languidly and told me to go ahead and read it.. It was beside the point that I didn't quite get what the hell the book was about anyway, at that innocent age..but understood when I read it when I was a little older.. (Which brings me to the point how male writers like Nabokov falsely fantasise about girls/women and create Lolitas).
Anyway, ever since the topic of Johor-Kaku arose, I've been dying to read his poetry. Sadly we don't have any of his poetry in our book collection, many of which are remnants of my father's, who was also a voracious reader. Hence I tried to google, hoping to find some online. I did find a couple of short poems by Subrata Chakraborty, but I don't know if it is my Johor-Kaku, or some other person by the same name. Nevertheless, here are the poems.. Do tell me what you think of them.. I think they're beautiful..
Nichhup
bhanga barir choukathe ekta bhanga frame
gacher pata sukiye o ekta kektas
dhusor bali te ore koaek tukro kagaj
fis fisiye kotha bole oder himshital pran...
-subrata chakraborty
Prakitik
basor ghore pradip nebhano chilo
hasnuhanar gandho choriyechilo
ek fali josna khujchilo aar bolchilo
chere dao amake
ami pradip jaliye asi....
-subrata chakraborty
As an end note, at the end of Shob Choritro Kalponic, there is a poem recited in the background, which my Ma says she used to recite in her childhood.. Here it is:
Amader chhoto nodi chole bnāke bnāke
Amader chhoto nodi chole bnāke bnāke
Boishakh maashe tay hnatu jol thake.
Paar hoe jay goru, paar hoy gaari -
Dui dhaar unchu taar, dhalu taar paari.
Chik chik kore baali, kotha nai kada;
Ekdhare kaash bon – fule fule saada.
Kichi michi kore setha shaliker jhaak,
Raate othe theke theke sheyal-er hnaak.
Aar paare aam bon, taal bon chole-
Gnaaer bamun para tari chaaya tole.
Teere teere chele meye nahibaar kaale,
Aar paare aam bon, taal bon chole-
Gnaaer bamun para tari chaaya tole.
Teere teere chele meye nahibaar kaale,
Gamchai jol bhori, gaye tara dhale.
Shokale bikale kobhu nawa hole pore
Anchole chankiya tara choto mach dhore.
Bali diya maaje thaala, ghotiguli maaje,
Bodhura kapor keche jay grihokaaje.
AshaRe badol naame, nodi bhoro-bhoro-
Matiya chutiya chole dhaara khorotoro.
Mahabege kalkal kolahol othe,
Ghola jole pakguli ghure ghure chote.
Dui kule bone bone pore jay shara,
boroshar utshabe jege othe paara.
Our little river
Our little river flows in graceful loops
The summer heat dries her to a gentle flow,
Both cart and cattle travel across with ease
Her banks are high, her depths are shallow
The sand bed glitters, no trace of mud
The far bank shimmers with Kash flowers white,
where flocks of mynas chirp busily all day
And jackal calls arise at night
This bank shelters sleepy hamlets in the shade
Of ranks of ancient mango and palm tree
At bath times, children swim and play
Splashing water at each other in noisy glee
Each day as their bathing is done
They catch little fish in nets of cloth
Women take home their pots scrubbed clean
Their washing all done, they return to their chores
When the rains descend, the river swells fast
Rushing waters raise voice in happy uproar,
The muddy torrent spins in eddies and swirls
Both banks uniting in joyous clamour
Awake, to join in the festival of rain
About "Nishchup" and "Prakritik" I really love them. And your Johor Kaku seems to be an interesting man indeed.I would love to hear more about him.
ReplyDeleteKobiguru’s Poetry has always been such a journey of pictorial expressions, one can always actually be right there on the scene while reading him. If I ever started having a special place for poetry in my heart it is simply because of Robi Thakur. I just love him. And great thing is I can read and Write Bengali quiet OK.
There is a collection of his work known as "Konika" I am sure you are aware of it, the translation of the collection is called "Stray birds". It’s phenomenal, fantastic. Each word a jewel, each poem a Treasure. I have read it like a thousand times but I still can’t get enough of it. One of the poems I have mentioned below –
Bhokti ashe rikto hoshto, Proshonno bodon
Oti bhokti bole…”Dekhi ki paile dhon ?”
Bhokti kohe “ Mone pai, na pari Dekhaite “
Oti Bhokti Kohe “ Ami pai hate hate”
Another
Jobe Kaj kori….Probhu dey more daan
Jobe Gaan kori…..bhalobashe bhogoban.
And so many many more. Isn’t he a fantastic poet and person who can write poems like this (From Gitanjali)–
Amar e gan chheŗechhe tar shokol olongkar
Tomar kachhe rakhe ni aar shajer ohongkar
Olongkar je majhe pore, milonete aŗal kore,
Tomar kotha dhake je tar mukhoro jhongkar.
Tomar kachhe khaţe na mor kobir gorbo kora,
Mohakobi, tomar paee dite chai je dhora.
Jibon loe joton kori, jodi shorol bashi goŗi,
Apon shure dibe bhori sokol chhidro tar.
I had written so much more i think the comment got deleted :(
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking of you while listening to some Tagore songs.. I'm compiling them and will post them..
DeleteYes, this comment section has a word limit, hence I post my replies in multiple posts.. Never mind, just write it again.. :)
Dear Anonymous, You've put me in such a mood for Tagore's poetry/songs, that I've been listening to them obsessively, harassing my Ma to translate them (but she too doesn't know the meaning of many) since my Bangla is weak, and Tagore writes in such sublime language. Truly he is the "Sun-Lion" of poetry.. While compiling some of the Tagore songs from YouTube to share with you, I chanced upon this-> Bhanu Singher Podaboli: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yDA5z0fA68E and I have been listening to it over and over.. Though some of the songs are familiar, this is the first time I've discovered that they belong to Bhanu Singher Podaboli.. As I told you, my exploration of Tagore in my younger days was pretty much self directed. So, if I liked a song, I would ask my father to tell me the meaning, write it down in Eng script, whereupon I would learn it up. I miss my father now so much, because I do not understand many of the words in the poetry of Bhanu Singer Podaboli.. But I am delighted the hear that you read and write Bangla well..What a God-send! Hence, I am posting a few songs from the Podaboli below, will you please translate them for me?
ReplyDeleteBTW, my Ma's operation is scheduled for tomorrow; me, my bro, and Ma of course, are quite tense, though each of us is hiding it from the other..
And I'm waiting to read what had been deleted from your previous post..
Here's the poetry of BhanuSingh: গহন কুসুমকুঞ্জ-মাঝে মৃদুল মধুর বংশি বাজে,
ReplyDeleteবিসরি ত্রাস-লোকলাজে সজনি, আও আও লো।
অঙ্গে চারু নীল বাস, হৃদয়ে প্রণয়কুসুমরাশ,
হরিণনেত্রে বিমল হাস, কুঞ্জবনমে আও লো॥
ঢালে কুসুম সুরভভার, ঢালে বিহগ সুরবসার,
ঢালে ইন্দু অমৃতধার বিমল রজত ভাতি রে।
মন্দ মন্দ ভৃঙ্গ গুঞ্জে, অযুত কুসুম কুঞ্জে কুঞ্জে,
ফুটল সজনি, পুঞ্জে পুঞ্জে বকুল যূথি জাতি রে॥
দেখ সজনি, শ্যামরায় নয়নে প্রেম উথল যায়,
মধুর বদন অমৃতসদন চন্দ্রমায় নিন্দিছে।
আও আও সজনিবৃন্দ, হেরব সখি শ্রীগোবিন্দ
শ্যামকো পদারবিন্দ ভানুসিংহ বন্দিছে॥
***
আজু সখি, মুহু মুহু গাহে পিক কুহু কুহু ,
কুঞ্জবনে দুঁহু দুঁহু দোঁহার পানে চায়।
যুবনমদবিলসিত পুলকে হিয়া উলসিত,
অবশ তনু অলসিত মূরছি জনু যায়।
আজু মধু চাঁদনী প্রাণউনমাদনী,
শিথিল সব বাঁধনী, শিথিল ভই লাজ।
বচন মৃদু মরমর কাঁপে রিঝ থরথর,
শিহরে তনু জরজর কুসুমবনমাঝ।
মলয় মৃদু কলয়িছে , চরণ নহি চলয়িছে,
বচন মুহু খলয়িছে, অঞ্চল লুটায়।
আধফুট শতদল বায়ুভরে টলমল
আঁখি জনু ঢলঢল চাহিতে নাহি চায়।
অলকে ফুল কাঁপয়ি কপোলে পড়ে ঝাঁপয়ি,
মধু-অনলে তাপয়ি খসয়ি পড়ু পায়।
ঝরই শিরে ফুলদল, যমুনা বহে কলকল
হাসে শশি ঢলঢল -- ভানু মরি যায়।
Rita you have put my skills to the hardest test possible. I am no scholar in Bengali, just studied it as 3rd language and have a liking for my mother tongue to say the least. The genre of dialect usage in this poem is far beyond my comfort level or liking yet I tried my best to translate the above, Please pardon if it sounds as silly as it is.
DeleteIn a park thickly covered in flowers,
the enchanting tune his flute plays
My Darling shun your fear of the society
and come come come to me.
Decked in bright blue attire
And hearts filled with love
Oh your deer eyed beholds a thousand happy tales
come come come to me…….
The flowers pour their nectar sweet scent
The birds sing their sweetest songs
The Moon pours its soothing light
A Calm and divine night thus it is.
The boughs of trees dances in joy
Every branch decked in buds
Every bud thus blooms into
A beautiful flower of a rare variety
See oh my darling the love in your dark handsome man’s eyes
A love so grand glowing pouring from his face
His nectar source body
Sleeps calm in the serenity of the moonlight
Oh come, come my group of angelic darlings
And behold him, your lord Krishna like lover
On his lotus feet I offer my song
My utmost prayers of love divine.
My Darling sings today, often oh so often
Like the melodious cuckoo kuhu kuhu
In the garden they steal quick gaze
At each other.
Their youth oh so intoxicated with love
Their heart overflowing with anticipation of happiness
Their body numbed
Falls loose almost unconscious
Today in this honey laced moonlight,
Every barrier is to be broken
Every bit of fear, shyness
To be shunned.
As I hear you’re whispering nectar voice,
My heart gets trembles in excitement
In the middle of this flower garden
I stand trembling
The winds passing by soothingly
Fills my body with laze, my feet cants keep up a steady gait
I fumble as I try to speak
My veils drags loose behind me.
That half bloomed lotus
Sways under the force of the wind
My eyes filled with tears
I want to but can’t look at you
From the unseen the flower trembles and falls onto my lap
Drops its fresh nectar on my feet
Amidst falling flowers all around and the river gushing by
With the moon smiling naughtily
I am dead of shyness.
ha ha ha I know you will be rolling on the floor laughing at how apoetic i am(If there is at all a word as apoetic ;)) Its now for nothing that i like Rabindranath he makes reading and understanding of Bengali kanguage so very simple. But I dont know why this poems or geeti natyo tested my limits.
I will be glad if you can even understand a wee bit out of what i have posted above.
As I'm sure you know, Tagore wrote his Bhanusingher Padabali when he was 16 years old, using the pseudonym, Bhanusingh, or Sun Lion, wherein he used Brajabuli as the language to write it in.. I got this much information from my Ma. When I asked her what language Brajabuli was and who were the people who spoke it (I assumed it was Braj Bhasha, which I thought was a curious choice of language for Tagore to use for his first poems) she thought it was Maithili, but she didn't know why the young Tagore would choose Maithili to write in. Hence, with my curiosity piqued, I googled for more info, and learnt that Brajabuli is an artificial literary language which was developed by the medieval poets of Bengal which was influenced by the Maithili love poems of Radha and Krishna written by the poet, Vidyapati. And to add to the confusion, there is also an Assamese dialect called Brajavali which is also related to Maithili.
DeleteAnd then I realised why I can hardly understand any of the Podaboli poems when I read them, although, curiously, I do get the gist when I listen to the songs. I find the language very beautiful, and the poetry sublime. Since Vidyapati was the poet whose style Tagore used for his Podaboli, I also looked up some of his poems (via google, of course) and discovered they're beautifully sensuous.. I'm sure you're quite familiar with them, but for me they are a delightful revelation..a poet I intend exploring further..
No, dear Anonymous, I am not laughing at your translation at all.. In fact, I'm mighty impressed.. and, no, it's not apoetic (doesn't matter if there is such a word or not..it's a pretty good word :) ).. I think you've captured the essence of the original pretty well.. Wow! .. Especially at your young age, and with you studying Bangla only as a 3rd language..! I don't think I would manage such a feat with Telugu poetry, though I studied it as a third language.. Something tells me you are good with languages in general.. Are you? How many languages do you know? Which are they?
By the way, I've begun painting again, at long last.. thanks to your encouragement.. I wish I could post them on my blog here, but I don't know how to via my iPad.. it doesn't give me the option to post pics on my blog, though I can post them on twitter and facebook.. Since you're a techie, could you help me out please.. How to upload pics from the iPad to the blog.. I tried googling for it, but this is one of the rare times google failed to direct me to info about it :/
Here's a couple more, I'll really enjoy them so much once I understand them.. বাদরবরখন নীরদগরজন
ReplyDeleteবিজুলী চমকন ঘোর,
উপেখই কৈছে আও তু কুঞ্জে
নিতি নিতি, মাধব মোর।
ঘন ঘন চপলা চমকয় যব পহু,
বজরপাত যব হোয়,
তুঁহুক বাত তব সমরয়ি প্রিয়তম,
ডর অতি লাগত মোয়।
অঙ্গবসন তব ভীঁখত মাধব,
ঘন ঘন বরখত মেহ --
ক্ষুদ্র বালি হম, হমকো লাগয়
কাহ উপেখবি দেহ?
বইস বইস পহু, কুসুমশয়ন 'পর
পদযুগ দেহ পসারি --
সিক্ত চরণ তব মোছব যতনে --
কুন্তলভার উঘারি।
শ্রান্ত অঙ্গ তব হে ব্রজসুন্দর,
রাখ বক্ষ-'পর মোর,
তনু তব ঘেরব পুলকিত পরশে
বাহুমৃণালক ডোর।
ভানু কহে বৃকভানুনন্দিনী,
প্রেমসিন্দু মম কালা,
তোঁহার লাগয়, প্রেমক লাগয়
সব কছু সহবে জ্বালা।
***
বাদরবরখন নীরদগরজন
বিজুলী চমকন ঘোর,
উপেখই কৈছে আও তু কুঞ্জে
নিতি নিতি, মাধব মোর।
ঘন ঘন চপলা চমকয় যব পহু,
বজরপাত যব হোয়,
তুঁহুক বাত তব সমরয়ি প্রিয়তম,
ডর অতি লাগত মোয়।
অঙ্গবসন তব ভীঁখত মাধব,
ঘন ঘন বরখত মেহ --
ক্ষুদ্র বালি হম, হমকো লাগয়
কাহ উপেখবি দেহ?
বইস বইস পহু, কুসুমশয়ন 'পর
পদযুগ দেহ পসারি --
সিক্ত চরণ তব মোছব যতনে --
কুন্তলভার উঘারি।
শ্রান্ত অঙ্গ তব হে ব্রজসুন্দর,
রাখ বক্ষ-'পর মোর,
তনু তব ঘেরব পুলকিত পরশে
বাহুমৃণালক ডোর।
ভানু কহে বৃকভানুনন্দিনী,
প্রেমসিন্দু মম কালা,
তোঁহার লাগয়, প্রেমক লাগয়
সব কছু সহবে জ্বালা।