As night gave way to first light
And the stars began to fade
Sitting by the tall tree
Near which the hibiscus flowered
With blood red petals
I heard a faint whispering
Of fluttering wings
Which caught my wandering eye
Hungering for a death’s cry
So with a quick twist
Of my nimble fingers
Its rainbow wings I tore
And when it fell to the earth
Twisting and contorting
Its ludicrous trunk
With a quick foot
I stamped out its breath
So there it was
That silly thing
With its rainbow wings
All tattered and torn
Its ugly torso
All squelched and squished
A little blot of lifeless butterfly
Baking in the morning sun
But then to my astonishment I heard
Caught within the sticky red bloom
Its silent butterfly scream
The hideous cry pierced my ears
Like a sharp rapier thrust
Which I found intolerable to bear
So with deft fingers
Again I swiped
With a butcher’s sharp knife
Now at the hibiscus bloom
That dared to dream
Of defying what I’d decreed
And slashed and sliced
Until it lay torn to shreds
In red drops of fresh blood petals
And the stars began to fade
Sitting by the tall tree
Near which the hibiscus flowered
With blood red petals
I heard a faint whispering
Of fluttering wings
Which caught my wandering eye
Hungering for a death’s cry
So with a quick twist
Of my nimble fingers
Its rainbow wings I tore
And when it fell to the earth
Twisting and contorting
Its ludicrous trunk
With a quick foot
I stamped out its breath
So there it was
That silly thing
With its rainbow wings
All tattered and torn
Its ugly torso
All squelched and squished
A little blot of lifeless butterfly
Baking in the morning sun
But then to my astonishment I heard
Caught within the sticky red bloom
Its silent butterfly scream
The hideous cry pierced my ears
Like a sharp rapier thrust
Which I found intolerable to bear
So with deft fingers
Again I swiped
With a butcher’s sharp knife
Now at the hibiscus bloom
That dared to dream
Of defying what I’d decreed
And slashed and sliced
Until it lay torn to shreds
In red drops of fresh blood petals
No comments:
Post a Comment