Daylight is slowly abating
Night is a long lonely street waiting.
The crow and the pigeon
Are winging their way across an ebbing evening
sky.
The shadows are lengthening stretching creeping
fingers
Across the stray grey grass on the flaking
footpaths flanking the purple street.
Making old the phantom trees - their wraithlike
arms merging into magenta skies.
The ghostly buildings and the blind streetlights melting
into the charred shadows of the night.
In the dimly lit lane at the end of the lonely
street
A bunch of stringy street dogs get into a snarling
fight.
The house stands alone and still on the empty
street.
Its eyes dead yellow lights, its walls peeling grey
skin – faintly familiar.
An overgrown garden filled with thorn and weeds.
A girl singing a song on the swing winging squeak
squeak.
Olive dusk skin, silky black hair flying in the still
wind.
Singing with her childish voice flying high in the
sky on broken wings.
From deep inside the bowels of the house I hear a
voice quavering
Calling my name –
I peer in through the windowpane, tapping on the
grimy glass
I call to the woman sitting in the shadows, in the
corner of the room.
A traveller I am, travelled long days and nights I
have, and on my way home – I say
Tired I am of bone, weary I am of feet, why are
you calling my name – I ask
With the slow step of beleaguered time the woman
rises and brings her face to me
Her eyes empty sockets, her face peeling grey skin
– strangely familiar.
With sudden shock, all at once I know – The face
facing me is ME!
My mind stumbling, shouts – If she is I, then who
am I? If I am me, then who is she?
Dead street with your flaking path, dead
streetlights with your empty sockets, dead house with your peeling skin – TELL
ME!
Only the street dogs snarl in reply.
In the
overgrown garden filled with thorn and weeds
An empty swing winging squeak squeak squeak
squeak.
-by Rita Putatunda
No comments:
Post a Comment