Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Songless Guitar and the Flower


The songless guitar on a far star said to the flower
(Growing in the earth of another world)
A stranger you are, O Flower, yet nearer to me than any love
I wonder with wondering heart
Can ever you and I, come together
You so far away, in your distant world
Blooming fragrantly, radiantly
I, alone, in this desolate land
A songless guitar

There you are, O Flower, with a question unspoken on your lips
And here am I, a songless guitar, a question hidden in my silent strings
We stand facing each other – Worlds apart, Worlds apart

I know with the knowledge of the knowing heart
Whatever I can give you, Whatever I can offer you
With both arms outstretched, Will be less than it should be
If I offer you a song, a song loses its meaning
With time falls silent – falls silent
If I offer you a poem, written with the tender petals of my heart
Petals fade and wither, Poems get lost,
Hearts stop beating, in the dusty pages of lost time – lost time
And time itself, Crumples into the dust – into the dust

There you are, O Flower, with a question unspoken on your lips
And here I am, a songless guitar, a question hidden in my silent strings
We stand facing each other – Worlds apart, Worlds apart

-by Rita Putatunda

No comments:

Post a Comment