Thursday, August 9, 2012

Dancing with the breeze


I walk down the road
Of my neighbourhood
Passing by squatting
Vegetable and fruit vendors
Huddled under bright yellow and blue
Plastic tarpaulins
An old mochi piecing together
Tattered old leather chapplas
The row of rickshas
The drivers chewing paan
Spitting the bright red juice
On the wet footpath
Chatting and looking at me expectantly
A sudden scooter
Darting by with a sharp beep
Cars swishing by
Spattering the mud brown
Rain water –
I walk along
Sniffing the rain, feeling the breeze
Caressing my face
I come to an open expanse
And breathe the day in --
The clouds in the sky
The trees shedding droplets --
I throw my head back
And there..In the clouds
I see a bird
Dancing with the breeze –
A grey and white bird
With a long tail
Streaming behind
Jauntily tossing about
In the grey grey sky –

I watch it for a while
And turn around
To walk back home
A sudden jaunty spring
Giving wings to my step
My heart
Dancing with the breeze

-by Rita Putatunda

1 comment: