Thursday, October 13, 2011

I See My God

I see my God
In everything I see
Around me, within me
And even in what I do not see -
Just perceive

I see my God in the birth of a flower bud
Unfurling petal by petal into glorious blossom
I see my God in the myriad hued butterfly
That springs open its wings from its pupa
--- Flitting from flower to flower
     Tasting the nectar of sweet life---
I see my God in a fallen leaf
Turning brown with decay
Disappearing into the earth

I hear my God in the voice of early morning birdsong
Incessantly, insistently crying
Day break, day break, day break -
I see my God in the faltering step
Of feeble age when evening shadows fall
Proclaiming the death of another day

I see my God in a stone lying by the wayside
In a tree with its spreading branches
My God gazes at me
From the eyes of a street dog
I see my God in the wide eyed gaze
Of a laughing child

I feel my God in the monsoon breeze
In the billowing rain-clouds
I hear my God’s gentle footsteps
In the patter of life-giving rain
I hear my God’s terrifying voice
In the crack of lightning
That rips open the skies
---the crashing roar of thunder
That envelopes the earth
The devastating power of the unseen
Unleashed in a thunderstorm
In the quake of the earth
In the destruction of a distant star

I sense my God in the endless swish-swish-swish
Of the sea lapping the sands of the shore
The salt of the sea breeze
The endless surging and ebbing of tides
I feel my God in the light that awakens
The earth each morning
In the darkness that engulfs
The earth each night

I see my God in the dim light
Of a moon beam filtering through
Gathering clouds 
Of the stars that come out at night
Speaking of countless worlds
The countless swirling galaxies
Of suns, planets, moons, and stardust
That make up the Universe

I see my God in you, I see my God in me
I see my God in the fullness of everything
I see my God in the emptiness of nothing

Most of all I sense my God
Within my soul
In every breath I take
In every heartbeat
That pulses through me

And when life has fled me
Silencing my breath, stilling my heartbeat
Into that God who is beyond this Universe
I will merge
Becoming the fullness of everything
Becoming the emptiness of nothing

Maybe to remain in nothing
Maybe to re-awaken into everything

God is creation, conception
God is decay, destruction
God is rebirth, resurrection

- Rita Putatunda

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Very beautifully written. :)
    I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought that idea of Tat tvam asi is so much more than just those words. And I love how your poem has captured and expressed that so beautifully. Understood it for what it really stands for, yet, without restricting the to just one philosophy or culture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Rita, a powerful poem this one is. It beautifully defines **Om Tat Sat** as you see it, as you feel it, as you perceive it.

    Excellent is not the word!

    ReplyDelete