Friday, October 31, 2014

Working on two pieces

Well, I'm working on two paintings..struggling a bit with both, though happier with the effects I'm managing to get with the sunflowers. Acrylics is both fun and liberating, as well as damned frustrating.. as I keep saying, it just dries up too fast, and the lower layers seem to absorb the pigments I put on subsequent layers, dulling and darkening them. But the big plus point is, it's so forgiving.. so I shall persist. I love that I don't have to deal with the fumes of turpentine, and that I don't have to worry about things getting muddied as I work almost immediately on layers.

The beginning stages of paintings are always scary..one really doesn't know how it will end up.. a disaster or a success..



2 comments:

  1. U can use a Paint retarding medium or moisture retaining paper palettes if you haven't already.

    Use a medium from liquitex.


    Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Do you use retarders with your acrylics? I've had quite a lot of negative feedback about it, but I will try it out if you say it makes no difference to the finished painting. As for a wet tray, yup, been thinking of making one for myself, just need to pick up enthu to go shopping for all the paraphernalia - a tray with a lid, a sheet of sponge, water proof paper that will allow just enough dampness to seep through.. I haven't seen any readymade ones in the art shops I've been to.

    ReplyDelete