Sunday, July 24, 2011

Comparing Geeta Dutt and Lata Mangeshkar


A few points come to my mind off hand with the example you’ve given of Geeta Dutt and Lata Mangeshkar’s rendition of the “same song”, as you put it. First of all, for all purposes they are different songs, for even if the tune is the same, the tempo or taal is completely different. That particular song had to be sung in a slower tempo, as Lata did, to bring out its beauty. Secondly, you are comparing a song recorded in a controlled studio environment, which was Lata’s version, to a song sung live on stage, which was Geeta’s version, with bad recording facilities and limited orchestration, plus the lack of sound effects etc.

But, to explore further, Geeta Dutt took to live stage performances after she had suffered a huge emotional crisis, leading to depression, alcoholism, and a long hiatus from professional singing. When she wanted to restart her career there were no more takers for her because by then Lata had become the rage. So the Geeta you see in the stage performances wasn’t at her singing peak, but on her decline. To compare that with a fresh Lata is not fair.

I must tell you, though, that I’m a great admirer of both Lata Mangeshkar and Asha Bhosle. I consider Lata the nightingale of India, and as for Asha, she brought sexy into Indian film music like nobody had ever done, and to date, has never replicated. Lata had a technical mastery and virtuoso that is unparalleled. Her voice was trained in classical music which helped her to put her voice through scale ranges that is nothing but phenomenal.

As for Geeta, she could never match Lata in technical virtuosity. But Geeta had a special ability to bring out the pain, the sensitivity, the poignancy, the tenderness, the heartbreak of life from the depths of her being into the songs she sang. While Lata’s voice had confidence and poise, Geeta’s voice had vulnerability and passion. That is what made her the genius she was. While it’s great to listen to technical virtuosity, it is a heartrendingly moving experience to listen to the pathos of the soul rendered in song. Close your eyes and listen to ‘Na Jaao Sayya’ from Sahib Bibi Ghulam, or ‘Wakt Ne Kiya’ from Pyasa, and you’ll see what I mean.

But, finally, music is always a personal journey. What I experience in the music I hear will be completely different from what you hear and experience. For me, while I applaud Lata for her unparalleled virtuosity, Geeta I’ll pay homage to for her magnificent sublimity.

No comments:

Post a Comment